I just installed a board in a newer RI w/ FX loop

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Dax

Post by Dax » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:09 pm

What the F$$* is an outboard buffer? Do you mean an extra tube? I wouldn't use pedals in the loop, just an EQ and a DSP 256XL Processor.

Dax

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:56 pm

A buffer in a pedal or rack unit. Like the VHT tube buffer.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:37 pm

Dax wrote:Yeah, i would love to see pics of this Jewel!!!

cfljames, Help!!!
Dax, I just got it back from George and have not got the chance to take the chassis out!!!!!! I will do it when I get some FREDS from him or Don.Man does this thing scream!!!!!!! :shock:
Current :
MARSHALL 1959HW TO 67/68 SUPERBASS
DIAZ CD100 HEAD
DIAZ 4X12/V30/4X12 ANGLE W/GREENBACKS
MARSHALL 4X12 W/CERWIN VEGA ER123 & GH30-H

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 pm

I think your milking that amp out!!! Give her a break and take some pics!!!

Dax Ha Ha!!!

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:I think your milking that amp out!!! Give her a break and take some pics!!!

Dax Ha Ha!!!
I just got the freds from mouser so I should be able to get some shots of it fairly soon,but your right I've just been using it since I got it back and didn't think I would jump back in it but I will soon.I got a tonebone vt head switcher that lets me run two heads into one cab,so I paired it up with a cesar diaz cd100 head and having the combination is great,I got things matched up pretty well but am still playing with the marshall to find where I like the settings the best,it's nice how it cuts through now tonewise without being brittle or nasal since george did the board,tubes,tranny,ppiv,etc.I think I will go to greenbacks instead of my vintage 30's.
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

Dax

Post by Dax » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:16 pm

I smell rotten milk!!??

Just Kidding!!

I'm addicted to taking pics of my amps, i have about 40 pics of each of my amps. When someone is troubleshooting on the board, i refer back to my pics and it helps me lear.

Dax

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:47 pm

Dax wrote:I smell rotten milk!!??

Just Kidding!!

I'm addicted to taking pics of my amps, i have about 40 pics of each of my amps. When someone is troubleshooting on the board, i refer back to my pics and it helps me lear.

Dax
Wise idea,I'll get you some off the loop you wanted,I know it was nice to see the placements of the freds that were posted so this way I have a good idea were to put them in right from the start.The only smell I seemed to notice is the fine sent of cooking sozos!!Nice job- George!!!!!
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

Post by Guest » Sun May 01, 2005 12:42 am

Cooking Sozo's!! Beautiful!!

Dax

Eoin

Post by Eoin » Thu May 12, 2005 10:12 am

Billy Batz wrote:A buffer in a pedal or rack unit. Like the VHT tube buffer.
What would that actually be adding to the circuit? Like, what would a fx loop buffer actually consist of?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu May 12, 2005 11:42 am

Just two tube gain stages.

Post by Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 3:19 pm

very interesting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu May 12, 2005 3:34 pm

But they buffer the signal to the FX and from the FX. The VHT isnt a loop buffer. Its just a buffer period advertised to be first in a line of effects before the amp but you can use it before the FX in a loop to achieve the same purpose. Not all loop buffers are send and returned bufferect. In fact, Id bet most or just send buffered which is what youd achieve with the VHT type circuit. If I was going to build an external buffer why use a 12AX7 and just use one half? Might as well use the whole thing and add a send and return level and mix level while your at it. People say parallel loops suck for many effects but why the hell not use one all the time in an amp since, when set up right, at full on intensity its series anyway?

pics?

Post by guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 am

I own a RI with an FX loop, that I installed a metro board into. I would love to see a pic of how the loop fits into the circuit so I can reinstall the loop. Anyone have a pic or updated install diagram?

Thanks

gtrdude

pics? is this some secret info noone wants to share ? ;-)

Post by gtrdude » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:47 am

I too would like to see how to wire in this effects loop, I have noticed there are like 20 posts and noone wants to give this info up...is it a secret???

I would love to wire this back into my amp!! Pleeaaaasseee!!!

Thank you that is all. :cry:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:28 am

No secret at all. You need to mount that big ol 10 watt resistor someplace for power to the FX loop board. Then you just wire the send from the treble pot and the return to the .022 cap in the phase inverter.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...