HELP: How to wire a circuit board?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

ZeppelinPie792

HELP: How to wire a circuit board?

Post by ZeppelinPie792 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 pm

I am still new to all of this, and I have gotten to the circuit board. Problem is, I don't have a clue how I am supposed to solder everything together. Some of the resisters barely even make it to the hole.

Can someone please either link me to a similar thread (I searched with almost nothing to find), or give me some diagrams or something?

Thanks

MarvinMitt

Post by MarvinMitt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:07 pm

You mean resistor ends are too short to reach to holes/turrets?
You can use some excess from another resistor/cap to make leads longer.

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Maybe this "how-to" will help a little. (look towards the bottom of the page for working with turrets).

http://www.el34world.com/charts/toolhowto.htm

You can use pliers instead of a lead bender.

Billy Batz

Re: HELP: How to wire a circuit board?

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:52 pm

ZeppelinPie792 wrote:I am still new to all of this, and I have gotten to the circuit board. Problem is, I don't have a clue how I am supposed to solder everything together. Some of the resisters barely even make it to the hole.

Can someone please either link me to a similar thread (I searched with almost nothing to find), or give me some diagrams or something?

Thanks
Maybe you can specify certain spots as an example? Just tell us the value of the resistor or cap then what its attached to (like the .022u thats attached to the normal volume pot and V1pin1- or the 820ohm resistor thats attached to V1pin3.)

The kit will specify certain kinds of resistors for spots where the resistor would have to reach allt he way accross the board. The main tan resistors are 1W Carbon Films and they wont reach. But the larger blue metal films or the real long brown NOS Carbon Composition resistors will reach and thats why they will be used for those certain spots.

ZeppelinPie792

Post by ZeppelinPie792 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Alright, I will just use the excess for others on some. Do I just solder the excess onto the ones that are too short? I made a mistake earlier in my build, and clipped two resistors short before I had found out they were the wrong ones.

I was kind of confused as to where to do the actual soldering. It looks like I just put the tips of the wires in the underside of the board after the resisters are in and just kind of melt some solder on so that everything connects? Kind of like this picture...

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm

This is the way I would do it if I cut a lead too short and had to splice an extension lead onto it. First, ensure a good mechanical connection between the cut component's lead and the lead you're splicing onto it. You can do this by:

a) creating a "j"-shaped hook at the connection points, then crimping them together

or

b) if you have enough lead left on the component, you can twist the two together.

Then you just solder where the mechanical connection is. You can add a bit of heat shrink over the joint also as extra security.

As far as "where to actually solder", the best advice I can give is to comb the forum and look at build pictures that are very tidy and neat and look at george's build guides for the 100w and 45w. Using turrets, the components for the most part go through the holes in the top. There may be instances where you have multiple leads going in one hole so so you may not be able to fit all of them. Then, you can simply make j-hooks from the ends and wrap them around the turret underneath the others. For wiring, you can stick them in the turret holes underneath the board and solder those from that end - just be sure to check that both the wire on the bottom and the components on the top have good solder connections. The downside of soldering wires underneath is that, if something is screwed up once the entire board is wired in to the pots and everything, you'll have to de-solder to get back underneath the board. It's a cleaner method though. Other folks will just "hook" the wires around the turrets on top of the board and leave the turret holes for all components. Easy to repair if a wire needs replacing or something...can be a difficult to solder around the outside of the turret.