Circuit Board problem

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Sur Kevin

Circuit Board problem

Post by Sur Kevin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 am

Hey guys, I just started on my circuit board and found out that my componets didnt come with any 100k's. If i got them from radio shack would the sound or tone be different, just wondering, or should i just get em off the Metro site. and also a couple of my resitors came too short to reach the terminals, should i get them from radio shack too or is there a way to make them fit. Thanks alot

Kevin

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 pm

I would double check your kit and cross reference the colour codes.

You will find that when you need to span across the whole board George will use a 2watt metal oxide (usually a matt light grey colour) type resistor.

These are the grey red brown (820R) for V1 and V2 and the 100k (brown/black/yellow) for V2.

The 10k (brown/black/orange and 8k (grey red red) are also the same type, they are used as voltage dropping resistors and need that power rating. The NFB resisitor (27k, 47k or 100k) is also usually this type too as it goes across the board.

They may be missing. The only other resistors that will span the boarda re the NOS Allen Bradleys from the store.

Here is one of my early builds using stock kit resistors, you can see the types I mean:

If you get metal film resistors from radio shack it may affect the tone. Standard resistors are carbon film. The only place where carbon comp resistors are partiicularly useful is as the 100k plate resistors on V1, V2 and the resistor mouinted directly on V2 socket
Neil

Sur Kevin

Post by Sur Kevin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks alot, i know its gonna help

Sur Kevin

Post by Sur Kevin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Yup, its was the metal oxide that got me confused with the comp.