Moderator: VelvetGeorge

guitar007

Heater Wire Help

Post by guitar007 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Compared to some of you guys
~guitar007

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:23 pm

someone posted somwhere a while back about using a cordless drill.
I tried it on my first build and it worked pretty good. On my second build
I just took my time and it still turned out pretty good. I used zip ties and tape to hold things in place until I soldered everything. I'm sure there are slicker ways though......
jim

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 pm

billy batz uses heat shrink to keep the twists in place tight during the soldering process .....you'll see it in the 45/100 thread ...it makes all things easier i think

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:10 am

Solid core wire helps to make the heaters a little easier to get tight and neat. That way, once you twist or fold them, they stay more or less put.

Other than that, I think patience is the key word. I hate doing heaters, I spend a looot of time on those.

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:14 pm

PTFE Wire (Teflon coated silver plated stranded) holds it's shape well too. Just tape 2 ends together and pu them in a cordless drill. Twist them but not too tight. Cut into sections and unwind a few inches for your solder connections.

Here's a great link from Brownnote:

http://www.brown-note.com/heaters/

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:41 pm

+1 on the drill method, and if working with teflon, a little temporary masking tape to hold things in place while making the hookups to the socket pins helps as well.

Wicksy

Post by Wicksy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:19 pm

The best way i found when i was doing my 18 watter was to use the nice tinned copper wire that came with George's wiring kit. I twist it up by hand. Nice and tight then solder up to the relevant pins. It just takes patience and some good wire and you can get great results.
Simon

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:55 pm

+ 1 on Simon's method. I do it by hand and that works great. If you use a drill you have to untwist some wire. The untwisted parts will look crooked. I use aligator clamps to hold the wire in place, or a pair of pliers, actually anything that works, also tape. It just takes a lot of patience to get the wiring neat. Patience is probably the key ingredient!
Last edited by Rootz on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Rootz wrote:+ 1 on Somon's method. I do it by hand and that works great. If you use a drill you have to untwist some wire. The untwisted parts will look crooked. I use aligator clamps to hold the wire in place, or a pair of pliers, actually anything that works, also tape. It just takes a lot of patience to get the wiring neat. Patience is probably the key ingredient!
+2!!
I can't use a drill for the reason you just mentioned. Fingers all the way! lol
That pre-tinned wire Simon mentioned is great for the heaters.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm going to redo my heaters...and try out both methods to see what works best for me. I must admit I did rush through it the first time. I'll use much more patience this time around. 8)

Thanks for the link, Joe.
~guitar007