Best place to get a Paxolin or dark brown PTP board?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

harddriver

Best place to get a Paxolin or dark brown PTP board?

Post by harddriver » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Considering a JMP50 plexi build but I want a dark paxolin plexi board or even the dark brown boards that is in Marshall new Handwired superleads. I wan to use Georges standard post turrets not the Split turrets.

Where's the best source and usually what is the pricing on them?

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 am

I found a place.

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:21 am

Can you share this info Harddriver?

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Here you go, looks just as good a Paxolin to me.

http://turretboards.com/

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

I got some of this stuff from turretboards.com and the color is more orangey. The paxolin is a nicer dark brown. Here is a pic of the the brown I got from Turretboards.com. Ken Watts is a cool guy though and the Black material they have is awesome looking.

The edges on the brown were a little rough as well...

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:37 pm

i recommend you guys not to buy the predrilled ones from turretboards.com....cuz by the way the are drilled and tureted ....a dual f&t fit between two turrets so closely that contact can be created between the other turrets and the "butt" of the f&t dual cap so it can make a short cut ...i made a jtm 50 board with it ....and i think i'll be forced to desolder the f&t 32uf and replace it with a smaller 16 uf if i wan't a working board :roll: :roll:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Looks like my supplier has run out and only has thin short boards left (price went up too!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paxolin-sheets-va ... m153.l1262
Neil

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Plastic suppliers can source brown, paper based phenolic. There are several varieties. Look at XX, CE and LE.

Color varies from run to run. So it's hit or miss.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

frenchie

Re: Best place to get a Paxolin or dark brown PTP board?

Post by frenchie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:00 pm

i found a few sources;

http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/584918.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.croylek.com/products.php?act ... duct_id=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... &U=strat15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wink:

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re:

Post by bluze81 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:59 pm

neikeel wrote:Looks like my supplier has run out and only has thin short boards left (price went up too!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paxolin-sheets-va ... m153.l1262
The board material you sent me a while back is perfect in color and going in my next build, a shame that supplier has no more.

wrea398

Post by wrea398 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 am

Most of us have been trying to get the exact color and texture of board matierial. There is alot of VERY close looking material out there like Kurts etc. I will be receiving some darker brown matierial from the UK next week. I sent him pics of real NOS chocolate brown material. He said it should be dead nuts on. It's the phenolic paper material like the NOS Paxolin. I will post some pics next week. I will also have some extra for sale.

BTW... I have an original 69 Super Lead with two different board materials. The smaller section is paper resin material and the larger section is cloth resin material. Totally different looks and materials on the same amp. Most all solder joints are original so I know it was from the factory this way. I may replicate this on my next '69 build.

Also just a note. I keep seeing PAXOLIN coming up as a product type. PAXOLIN is just a name like Bakelite, Tufnol, Micarta, Garolite, etc. It's all the same thing. Just named differntly for the same product type which is either "phenolic paper" or "phenolic cloth/linen" laminates. There are many US suppliers of this stuff. The color and textures of all the USA suppliers is virtually the same as the current UK suppliers. Just make sure whatever you buy is rated for medium to high electrical usage. The original early Marshall "Paxolin" was paper phenolic.
Attachments
Bill III 69 Plexi  (9).JPG
Bill III 69 Plexi (9).JPG (72.06 KiB) Viewed 10263 times

Godi

Post by Godi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Ok guys, here the real thing, I just receved my blank board of Paxoline from a seller in UK and even if the color on the picture don't seem right, it is a dark chocolate brown color, not the tan medium brown that we find here in America. Very nice stuff highly recommend.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

He also have the exact triple and slotted turrets Marshall used in the past, but you can buy these from George as well.

BrianH

Post by BrianH » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Looks nice but I think a lot of us like boards that have a reddish hue to them, not so much brown. At least that's been my experience ;)

wrea398

Post by wrea398 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 am

I have several pieces of the chocolate brown from England like pictured in the Ebay ad above. It's the real brand name "Paxolin" from the 60s and 70s. Size is 3.5 x 13.5" $15.00 a piece. I have 8.00 pieces.