2203 to nmv

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jj jafar

2203 to nmv

Post by jj jafar » Fri May 20, 2005 2:41 pm

what all would i need to do to remove the master volume from my 2203?can i wire it without having to add 2 more inputs and using 2 volume knobs?just a fun experiment really,plus im bored! :mrgreen: Jason

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri May 20, 2005 3:03 pm

Your only really doing 2 things. Uncascading then paralleling the first 2 gain stages and removing the master volume. Then a few simple board mod. Are you keeping the PCB? You can do it but it is a btich with PCBs.

You certainly can wire it to use just the 2 inputs instead of adding holes for more inputs. I built my last super lead with only 2 inputs. You can have a single hi and lo input set go to V1 and bridge the channels their or you can wire it so that each of the 2 inputs is only the hi input for its respective channel (or lo if your into that kinda thing.)

You need both volumes really for each channel. But your in luck. Seeing as your removing the master volume you have an extra hole. There you go. I actually completely dont remember. Do 2203/4's have the master volume next to the preamp volume or at the end of the tone knobs? I owned one and I forget. I think its next to the preamp volume in which case your in perfect luck BUT if it IS on the other side of the tone knobs you can just move the tone knobs down one and put the new channel volume next to the other.

Anyway. The .68/2k7 cathode set on the end of the board is the bright channel. Instead of the 10k cathode resistor change that to 820/250u for the normal channel. The PCB board may only have space there for one component. In that case youll have to solder the resistor directly to the 250u cap's leads then solder the cap into the PCB. Some PCBs have an extra space for a bypass cap on that spot. I think. That 470k/470k voltage divider is now the mixer. Each channels volume knob output goes to the mixer then the mixer to V2a grid. Its the same from there I think.

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Fri May 20, 2005 6:21 pm

this is a JCM 800 reissue that i put a ptp mv board into so that will help for sure.if anyone wants to make a picture(Dax?)of the changes that would be cool.Although i think i got the idea now.Thanks Batz! Jason

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri May 20, 2005 7:30 pm

I declined to respond earlier today, Jason. I thought you had that 2203X sounding damn fine in the clips you made. I kinda hated to see it get converted.

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Fri May 20, 2005 7:42 pm

well it aint a for sure thing yet,id just assume build a whole super lead kit really.just thought it would give an idea of how the two types of amps compare tone wise.by the way Flames,im gonna be doing a job in Adel the next few weeks.maybe we could get together some evening,and doesnt even have to be a date! :P

Dax

Post by Dax » Fri May 20, 2005 9:53 pm

Convert it!! I did mine and it rules! Add the 4 inputs, put in Superlead components, you can probably fit them on that board. Re-wire the tone and volume controls, Put in the "Rich Mod" PPIMV and you will be forever converted to the land of the faithful Superlead Lovers!!! :lol: :wink:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri May 20, 2005 11:43 pm

jj jafar wrote:well it aint a for sure thing yet,id just assume build a whole super lead kit really.just thought it would give an idea of how the two types of amps compare tone wise.by the way Flames,im gonna be doing a job in Adel the next few weeks.maybe we could get together some evening,and doesnt even have to be a date! :P
We can try -- I'll have to see how much time we have to spend with our realtor to find a new house. And I'm heading to Texas for a week in mid-June. Keep me posted here or e-mail me and I can try to get rid of the wife.

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Sat May 21, 2005 5:50 pm

Flames,ill e-mail ya my phone # which ill have on me most of the time.i really want to hear the super bass!i dont know if ill bring my goldtop or not but id like to hear it through all your amps.Jason

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Tue May 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Im still waiting for a call Flames!I even brought my goldtop down this week.I swear im harmless :twisted: I know your busy sellin the house and got the kid and wife thing going so no biggy.But i got to tell ya this damn hotel is boring!!!!!Jason

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Tue May 31, 2005 10:26 pm

Flames1950 wrote:
jj jafar wrote:well it aint a for sure thing yet,id just assume build a whole super lead kit really.just thought it would give an idea of how the two types of amps compare tone wise.by the way Flames,im gonna be doing a job in Adel the next few weeks.maybe we could get together some evening,and doesnt even have to be a date! :P
We can try -- I'll have to see how much time we have to spend with our realtor to find a new house. And I'm heading to Texas for a week in mid-June. Keep me posted here or e-mail me and I can try to get rid of the wife.
Where in Texas are you headed to?

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue May 31, 2005 11:14 pm

jj jafar wrote:Im still waiting for a call Flames!I even brought my goldtop down this week.I swear im harmless :twisted: I know your busy sellin the house and got the kid and wife thing going so no biggy.But i got to tell ya this damn hotel is boring!!!!!Jason
I know man, I'm dying here. My wife kept putting her homework off until tonight (the night before class) then flipped out balling because she didn't get it so I had the baby all night tonight, all night tomorrow night while she's in class, all night Thursday night while she has study team meeting. I absloutely hate any class that requires her to work with her computer for more than a simple essay -- I just don't see how you can be so dense in this day and age on how to work Microsoft Office........
It sucks, 'cause our house is sold and the new one is bought....just gotta pack and close on them.......

Necrovore, we'll be in McKinney (D/FW suburb on the NE side?)

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:42 pm

Ill be heading back home late afternoon Friday.I got band pratice that night to get ready for our gig Sunday(playin drums in this band).Maybe next week sometime.Talk at ya later,Jason

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Forgot to log in,damn this hotel computer!!!! :evil: Jason

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:16 pm

O.K. Im still thinking about doing this.The treble from my amp is just too over powering.Will making it a nmv kill the treble?Ive been looking at some wiring layouts to see what all has to be done,seems like quite a few things.Anyone bored enough to explain how to do this and make a wiring layout guide?I figure Ill just make it a one channel super lead with hi and lo inputs using the single 2.7k/.68 setup.Any help would be great,I may just have to wire it up as best i can looking at differant pictures till i get it right.Jason

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:31 pm

Email me Jason

I dont know if Id say a NMV has less treble. Its got just as much cut since Im assuming youll have to g for the 69. There just 2 different sounds. You wouldnt think that one thing would change the amps character so much but it does. Im assuming youve tried everything to kill the excess treble?

Having the single bright channel isnt a bad idea. You could have both channel and just internally jumper them so that both volumes are active and leaving a channels volume on 0 turns it off.