Are 2 watt resistors a must?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

soundguruman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Are 2 watt resistors a must?

Post by soundguruman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 am

OK I get what your driving at.
So build your amps with 1/8 watt resistors, it shouldn't make the slightest difference, should it?
Carvin apparently thinks the same thing.
All the most experienced builders who are using higher grade parts are just wasting your money aren't they?

Might as well use Radio Shack resistors, no difference.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Jeez, it really is amazing just how much you completely fail to see... :what:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

joey

Post by joey » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:51 am

demonufo wrote:Jeez, it really is amazing just how much you completely fail to see... :what:
Pretty amusing actually, my favorite part was equating the resistor lead to it's wattage capacity. And size to it's wattage capacity. As MOST people know wattage rating in no way guarantees a larger footprint, and in fact many 1 and 2 w rated resistors are no larger than 1/4 - 1/2w film ones. You can have a resistor rated for 3w, but it could only have a Voltage tolerance of 300v, across itself, so that throws both of the wattage and robustness assumptions proposed out the window. Fact of the matter is that You Really have to do some menial work, and use the very basic ohms law to find the minimum rating you should use, most likely you will find that under normal operating conditions, you dint need that high of a rating.... But you also consider in-rush conditions at start up! Also the discussion of noise should be kept separate. The higher the dissipation rating the lower the noose floor right? Not exactly depends on the circuit and noise we are trying to dampen. I'm just bummed none of my questions I asked were answered by the sound guru! His response seemed very un-enlightening :scratch:

As an aside i must say, the funny thing is that the radio shack resistors mentioned are the same xicon branded carbon film most people on this forum use regularly, and hold in high regards. You just pay more for them at radio shack.

soundguruman

Post by soundguruman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 am

"my favorite part was equating the resistor lead to it's wattage capacity".

You are constantly making up conclusions, inventing things that I said, that I never said at all.
Always trying to invent ways to find fault, like a prosecuting attorney.
Always impeaching what other people say....adding all kinds of imaginary implications...
You must be a republican. (how did I guess?)

You can do ohms law work to find the minimum size required, and install your minimum size. If that makes you happy, so be it. You have lots of fans at the Carvin Factory.

joey

Post by joey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:05 am

soundguruman wrote:"my favorite part was equating the resistor lead to it's wattage capacity".

You are constantly making up conclusions, inventing things that I said, that I never said at all.
Always impeaching what other people say....adding all kinds of imaginary implications...
You must be a republican. (how did I guess?)

You can do ohms law work to find the minimum size required, and install your minimum size. If that makes you happy, so be it. You have lots of fans at the Carvin Factory.
:lol: :lol: I just read this and spit the $3.00 bottle of wine I was drinking all over the screen. That's all you quoted? And that's all you responded with? Good job man! Not only did you manage to assert erroneous political assumptions as a basis for your argument, which have nothing to do with the conversation at hand might I add, but you again very predictably failed to see the point. :palm: :palm: :lol:

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:59 pm

soundguruman wrote:...You are constantly making up conclusions, inventing things that I said, that I never said at all.
You must be a republican. (how did I guess?)...
Proper word should be "Politician". You really think Republicans have that cornered?

...Sorry...that hit a nerve... :bang:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West