PTP Board Material

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

PTP Board Material

Post by rgorke » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:04 pm

"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

ezs
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: PTP Board Material

Post by ezs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:40 am

3in red stuff GP03 McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass-strips/=tvxcis
they have G10, Phenolic, as well.

sine_wave
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: PTP Board Material

Post by sine_wave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

rgorke wrote:Anyone make their own???

http://fiberglass-sheets.com/gp03.htm#.VCMX2vldUSl
I recently made the decision to do just that (make my own). My motivation is to get a lot closer, color-wise to the original boards. I also might have a line on some Paxolin thanks to a friend of mine in Britain. I'll have to wait and see what pans out.
I ordered a ton of those vintage-style split top turrets in advance. They are a perfect replica of RadioSpares turrets circa 1960s (I have a few loose originals and I did a very close inspection/comparison of the two). I must admit… It's always a pleasure for me to see a company manufacture a product these days (no matter how small) in a whole hearted way right from the get go.

The next phase in prepping the board is the biggest challenge, and that is drilling the entire board out (I like the whole board to have holes throughout on a 3/8" grid). Fortunately, Tube Depot (I think it's them... but I might be wrong) makes this task easy/easier by offering an aluminum board (same size as a typical Marshall turret board) that has all of the holes drilled out. All one has to do is keep this aluminum "template" aligned with your board stock and then get busy drilling out those holes with your drill press. I definitely won't be surprised if it starts to get a bit tedious but I think the end result will make up for it (especially if you're the type that likes to "scratch-build" stuff). Good luck!

- John