Newb here, '78 JMP 2204 MKII Lead board, which to look at???

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

J.DavisNJ

Newb here, '78 JMP 2204 MKII Lead board, which to look at???

Post by J.DavisNJ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:30 am

Hi guys! I'm new to the vintage Marshall world so please bare with me.

Let me start off by saying I love the old Plexi/Hendrix sound (don't we all lol) and would like to get there with my next amp. I'm ampless right now. I have a chance to get a '78 JMP 2204 MKII lead head. Will this head get similar enough to the tone I'm looking for.

If someone would take the time to explain the differences between this head and the 1959SLP and such it would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching around for it, but the information is really overwhelming.

Lastly, the board is obviously PCB, and I would like to change it to a PTP board. Does George offer any specific replacements for this amp?? I think the chassis is smaller than the regular Plexi, not sure though...Here's a pic:

So would I be able to replace this board with a '68 board or whatever to get closer to the Hendrix tone, ?? Or should I look elsewhere for a 1959RI or whatnot. Thanks!!

-Joe[/img]

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:05 pm

I'd keep looking....I just sold one of those to a forum member. I had converted it to the 1959/1987 style amp and it did sound good, but the lower voltages these run will not give you the clean power and dynamics for the Hendrix sound. By the time you change the board and the power transformer you probably still will not have accomplished your goal, and the amp is no longer worth as much as it was stock so you can't recoup your money to look elsewhere.
Ron is converting the amp back to a Master Volume model, and honestly it was just as good that way as it was as a four-input non-master Lead.

J.DavisNJ

Post by J.DavisNJ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:38 pm

Hey thanks a lot for your reply!!

Would you say that a used 1959SLP reissue is a good platform to mod and such?? The board will be replaced eventually, PPIMV installed,...

-Joe

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 pm

At a good price it's a great modding platform. Most guys replace the board, the output tranny and put good tubes in and are ready to roll. You can even change the filter cap cans and achieve values similar to a '67-era amp if you wish.

sweetwilliam

Post by sweetwilliam » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 pm

I have a '78 2204, and it sounds great IMHO, but it won't get you the Hendrix/plexi sound at all. The master volume amps are a little different from the plexis and 4 input models because they cascade the first half of the first preamp tube into the second half, where the superleads only use one half (unless you use a jumper,and the you're running them parallel). It's a great sound for hair metal, but the non-master is the way to go for the sound you want. I couln't decide, so I got one of each.
Will

Conficius says-"Good Marshall makes angry neighbors!"