Seeking Duane tone, thinking of building...

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

bluesbreaker59

Seeking Duane tone, thinking of building...

Post by bluesbreaker59 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Okay, so I've never done anything except changed tubes, wired up pickups and unsoldered a bright cap. I want to build a 1986 (50 watt bass) head. Basically just seeking to gain some knowledge and so forth, and also have some cool tones in the end, when its all over. Love Duane, Billy Gibbons, Greg Martin, Marc Ford, Rich Robinson, Skynyrd and so forth, but I also love my blues, and was thinking that a 50 watt bass model may just be the ticket.

Thinking of buying the parts a little at a time as money is tight after my divorce. :roll:

But here's my question, how difficult would this be for someone with no building experience AND is color blind? Is it impossible? Potentially life threatening?

Thanks,
Jason
I wear the blue shoes for tone, that's tonal stategery.

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:41 pm

its all possible - u have come to the right place ;)

bluesbreaker59

Post by bluesbreaker59 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks man

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:48 pm

you're welcome.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Bluesbreaker:

Go here, and download and read the instructions for the Metro JTM45:
http://www.metroamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2859

The instructions are very well written, and easy to follow.

It´s not that different from a JTM50 like the one you want build. If you think it looks like something you can handle, go ahead. You might even consider building one just to see if it suits your idea of tone, and if it does´nt you can easily mod it to an EL34 amp like Duane used.

And it´s being done right now by an guy lp1987x, see: http://www.metroamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5152
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Shredder

Post by Shredder » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:27 pm

I know I read somewhere that on "Filmore" Duane used a JTM45 with something in front as a slight boost. The tone on the solo for "One Way Out" is incredible.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:39 pm

Jason, you can look me up again if you have trouble or questions -- I lost your card when I moved and haven't been down to Dirk's in ages. Plus I got cool Metros for you to try out -- the JTM45 clone, JTM45/100 clone, '69 Super Bass clone, and I'm working on a Super PA based on a real '65-'66 Marshall aluminum chassis right now...............just sold the '75 Marshall to help finance that project........
I confess to being puzzled at the change of direction when the RI 1987 was too loud though.
Still got that Vicky that I never did try out? Did you end up with another Bad Cat too after selling the Marshall?
Divorce....sorry to hear that...... :cry:

bluesbreaker59

Post by bluesbreaker59 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Andy,

Good to hear from you. The divorce was my idea, I was sick and tired of being, "sick and tired", so I filed papers late summer and the divorce was done in October, best decision I ever made, just wished I did it sooner. As a plus though I lost 50 lbs, bought my first house, and got a new car, so life is still pretty good. :wink:

I ended up getting a Valvetech Hayseed 30 to replace my Marshall and sold it during the divorce. For quite a while I had just my Vicky Double Deluxe, which I still have. I took some of my gear and "sold it" to my mom during my divorce, so I still have my Les Paul, 335 and a blackguard Tele that I built, and still have my Klon, plus a Fulldrive, a tuner and a Dan Echo. This past weekend I bought a 1946 National Tweed Amp down at Dirk's. I've been playing guitar with some guys lately, doing some southern rock type stuff, its been fun, not playing out yet though.

We should REALLY get together so I can try out your toys, and you can try out my Vicky. I swear, I'll try not to "out tone" you this time :wink: No sense makin you jealous, or worse wanting a Vicky, they are EXPENSIVE!! :shock:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:57 pm

No offense to Victoria, but I'm pretty sold on just building anymore, so they won't get my bucks no matter how killer your amp sounds!! :wink:
You'd enjoy the Metros -- bigger clearer tone that cleans up way better than either of those 70's Marshalls did.......they were killer for hard rock but the Metro clones are more versatile by far. Also got some HighOrder humbuckers from Jeff over at Plexi Palace in both my Gibsons, much sweeter!!!
Glad the divorce went the way you needed it too, I hear the "D" word and can't help but think of some friends who've gotten taken to the cleaners on divorce deals.
I'll see when I can unload the family (this past Saturday would have been great, too bad!!!) and we'll have another little private ampfest.......

bluesbreaker59

Post by bluesbreaker59 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Andy I sent you a PM with my new contact info.

Also, last Saturday would've been great for an amp fest, I did nothing except buy that old crusty National amp from Dirk :wink: I'm tellin ya, this thing is PERFECT for ZZ Top, just perfect. Of course that could have something to do with the great blackplate RCA 6V6's that it has. :wink:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:23 pm

Hehehehe.....I scored a quad of those RCA 6V6's, along with some Telefunken 12AX7's last year at a swap meet in an old hifi....$2. :D
I built a TrainWreck front end with a tube-rectified power supply and a 2-6V6 output section with those tubes. I'm still not done tweaking it, but only because I keep building Marshalls.......

bluesbreaker59

Post by bluesbreaker59 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Well I will be undertaking my first build soon, I'm actually starting with a Tweed Deluxe kit from Mission Amps, and then a Metro 50 watt Bass kit. I figured the Tweed Deluxe is supposed to be a good "starting" project so, I figured I'd do my learning from that, PLUS, have a really cool sounding small amp for home usage. :D I may also build a Champ clone too, as they are really cool as well, and even better for home use.

stoo

Post by stoo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 pm

Shredder wrote:I know I read somewhere that on "Filmore" Duane used a JTM45 with something in front as a slight boost. The tone on the solo for "One Way Out" is incredible.
I'm almost pretty sure 90% that maybe it was Dickey doing the solo on that cut .....unless your talking the slide solo which would........................
.......aww..skip it!
Stew

yngwie308

Allman Bros 50 watt marshalls

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:40 pm

Bluesbreaker,the Allman Brothers used the small box 50 watt heads,with solid state bridge rectification to my ears, for the Live at Fillmore East era tones they definitely have that slightly more punchy, powerful tone to them.Especially on Whippin' Post and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.
My JTM-45, which was one of the last production,had EL-34's,yet the GZ-34 valve rectification.If I knew what I know now then, I would have switched to the diode rectification as personally prefer the increased gain and sustain with the non-valve rectification.
Small box 50 watt plexis with the reverse logo,square badge JTM (as Music Ground calls them),black flag logo,had the best tone I had heard,pre MKII front panel logos.I am not familiar with the circuit differences at that time,bridging to the 1987 model.These early amps with a basket weave G12M-25 watt greenback cab are the bomb.
Giving warm harmonically rich overtones,for Duane's slide work.
In retrospect the only valve rectifier sounds i like are Voxes,particularly the AC-15 with the EZ-81,and the EF86 pre amp valve,and the Marshall 18 watt combo with the same rectifier.The key is to have an open backed cabinet so everything doesn't get muddied up.
Also the small box 50 watt responds to guitar volume control more sensitively.To my ears there is a large difference between the small box 50 watt heads and the later big box 50's.
Just my opinion,at the time I wore out my copy of Live at the Fillmore East as it was a brilliant sound with the twin lead guitars.
Yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:07 am

Ive always been curious about the One Way Out solo. The one sounds almost like theres an octavia on it or something. None of the other cuts sound like it but there is a few other places I hear that sound at through the albums.