Which position do caps make the biggest difference in tone?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

gnugear

Which position do caps make the biggest difference in tone?

Post by gnugear » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:24 pm

I've got a '59 RI bassman with a ptp board and I'm going to drop in some left over Jensen paper and oil caps. I only have a few so would they be most efective in the V1 V2 spots or over by the phase inverter.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

tubetramp

Post by tubetramp » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 pm

ive always noticed the coupling stage at the pi where it hits the power .thats hard not to notice .just that alone beefed up an otherwise wierd gibson amp it came with 047 i tried 022 033 ended up at 068 .but each of these values really changed that amps voice.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:28 pm

Its tough to say. You just mean if you put in a cap that measures the same value as the one being replaced, then where does the actually make of the cap sound most clearly different? Right? Yeah, Id say the PI output couplers but not just those. Most people say the higher the voltage on the cap the more its eccentricities and properties will exert their influence and so the PI is a good place in that sense. But I also say remember that even though a cap in the first stage has much lower voltages on it, hence more subtle effects from the cap allegedly, its effects will be amplified in the following stages much more, the way noise is always a more important concern in stage 1 where it will be amplified by the following stages and sound much less subtle by the time it gets to your speaker :) All the couplers, the tone stack. I say theyre all fair game. Try it.