Help.. Partway through conversion..

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chequepoint

Help.. Partway through conversion..

Post by chequepoint » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:47 pm

I'm done with wiring up the Amp.. which of course means now its time to troubleshoot...

I'm getting very weak output out of the amp. So weak that I can't get my hotplate's lights to blink or the fan to spin. I think the issue may be in the pre-amp section. The poweramp measures out ok at the pins, except for on standby when the directions say that I should be getting a 6.3 volt reading.. I'm only getting a 3.2 volt reading. However.. that 3.2 volt figure corresponds to the chart provided of where the reading should be when its powered up.

The tubes are visually confirming that the amp is switching in and out of standby.

The pre-amp tubes however aren't lighting up like they should. That is my first reason for thinking that the issue is in the pre-amp. But i've never bothered to look at this amp without the tube covers on... But my other 12ax7 amps definiately put off some glow when they are fired up

The tone controls are responding as they should.

As I crank things up to 10, I don't even begin to approach any type of saturation or volume.

Where do you suggest that I start looking around for trouble?

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:34 pm

You may want to post some photo's and voltages that way others can actually see the board and possibly pick up on something that may be incorrect, etc.

chequepoint

Post by chequepoint » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Nevermind... It was a bad solder joint to V2.. I touched it up and now things work great.