12000 Series Filter Caps

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
ShortysPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

12000 Series Filter Caps

Post by ShortysPlexi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 am

All- Im modifying a kit I built to 67/68 specs and I am wondering how much difference You all feel having the Screen and Mains filter caps inside the chassis makes? Im debating whether to take them off of the top and mount them below.....

thelastleroy

Re: 12000 Series Filter Caps

Post by thelastleroy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 pm

If you are using the same filter caps in the same part of the amp, there wouldn't be any audible difference IMO. Unless somehow the move inside radically alters the lead dress and location of wires, in which case you might hear something minor.

Are you unhappy with the tone you have, or is it all in the name of being "period correct"??

ShortysPlexi

Re: 12000 Series Filter Caps

Post by ShortysPlexi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 pm

They thanks! Actually - I built a Mojo kit and got everything working right, Im just wanting to experiment with different values and see how they alter the tone. There is a lot of rave about that transitional circuit so I wanted to hear it for myself and then try to figure out what it is that makes that circuit sound different. I am definitely not trying to copy the circuit "per-say" but I want to get a good idea of what it sounds like in front of me. Maybe I'll hate it and go back :) Who knows, but I figure its worth a shot and I really do enjoy building amps-

I had to build a board for the rectifier but I wasnt sure if I should pull the cans off the top and put them on that board or if there would be any audible difference. I prefer them on top while im working on it so if its all the same I'll leave them there :)