Excessive noise while jumping channels on JTM50

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
jrewing
Just the numbers in order: 7

Excessive noise while jumping channels on JTM50

Post by jrewing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Guys,
So I have been playing my newly built JTM50 with channels bridged as I like the sound. I go in the normal channel, and then out of the normal channel into the bright channel. Really nice tone. Anyway, when both volumes, the treble, and presence are dimed, it gets very noisy and makes a weird feedback noise. Is this normal? The amp is otherwise very quiet even when very loud on either channel.

Thanks

toner

Re: Excessive noise while jumping channels on JTM50

Post by toner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:11 pm

It seems normal to me unless there's a drastic increase in noise when jumping channels. It will naturally have more noise than using just one channel but it shouldn't be a huge difference. Make sure the patch cable you use to jump the inputs is high quality. You can also try different tubes in V1 to find one that may have less noise.

Cranking the presence can cause squealing or feedback. You can try moving or shortening the negative feedback wires to fix this, especially the one that connects to the presence pot.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 am

Hmm... Unplug the instrument input cable and see what is different about the sound with the same settings.

There is a simple condition i have considered where you might accidently have 2M reference to ground from the inputs. That would do something brashly unexpected. Brash.

that said, toner is right, and usually will be i think. :)
not kicking the dead horse

jrewing

Post by jrewing » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, I can have both channels and the presence on 10, and the treble on 9, but when I go to 10 on the treble, it makes a bit of a weird noise. Any other suggestions or causes?

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm

If you are close to the speaker this will cause a very high pitched oscillation with the treble and presence dimed. Just in case that's what's happening with you.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Or close to the head. Have you chopsticked your tonestack wiring? The wire to the treble cap and the wire to the PI entrance.

The presence too. Make sure everything drops straight down to the floor, and as short as it can be to still work on easily.

You have 250p/56k TS? I notice one of my amps with a 250p but cascaded makes a little itchy ick around 9.75 treble if I am standing less than 2 feet out, but only then.
not kicking the dead horse