larry grounding

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
charles anthony
Just the numbers in order: 7

larry grounding

Post by charles anthony » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help with a new build . I came here when I built Georges 45 kit. I used Larry grounding with great success. Is there anyway this would work for a tweed deluxe ? I built a larger chassis so tubes can stand up. I hear this circuit can be bad when layout is messed up. Chassis is aluminum . Thanks again for your help. Charles

catalin gramada

Re: larry grounding

Post by catalin gramada » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi
"Larry grounding" is nothing else but a particulary aplication of bus grounding , using the chassis instead a real bus. It works in many clones as well as I tried myself and yes, it is bit tricky to keep each current into right path using chassis as ground plane. but you can use a real bus instead; as well, or better for sure :wink:. The ideea is to keep main category of currents into tight loops : power supply current loop, power stage current loop and small signal current loop. All of these 3 main circuits must be convergent into a single point which became your main star.(this point became absolute ground reference for you amp , so is very important to use as short, thick wires to it to provide low impedance paths). Further, each preamp stage must be keep in a tight loop with own decoupling cap into a mini star. Each ministar must be linked to main star and you can do this in two way : I.each ministar with one wire to main star (star grounding) or II.each ministar linked to a bus wire and this bus wire directly to the main star (bus grounding). Hope this help.
Catalin
Catalin

charles anthony

Re: larry grounding

Post by charles anthony » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks,I just cant seem to commit as I am still not positive and hate to redo after I am finished. It is never the same, you know . I can see some similarities from my 45 build but feel I can't stray from stock grounding. Problem is my layout is an upright head and maybe a little more real estate between parts. I have heard these circuits can be problematic. Thanks for your input,I will try to see how things work out, probably just being a nut. Thankfully- Charles