Finally made up my mind: 2xEL34 cathode biased project

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
johnnyl
Just the numbers in order: 7

Finally made up my mind: 2xEL34 cathode biased project

Post by johnnyl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 am

Hi everybody :)

I´ve been toying with the idea of restarting building amps for some time now, and after considering some more complex designs I´ve decided to go for a simple single channel cathode biased circuit for the first one… I´ve got a cheap Bandmaster OT clone and a headshell+chassis set that I made for a simple 3 controls amp in my parts bin, so I´m gonna use them for this build.

As far as the schematic goes, I decided to start with the Fender Pro 5E5 PA (basically a 6L6 Tweed Deluxe 5E3), design a more modern 3 gain stage preamp and use the Bassman 5F6-A PI (typically used by Marshall too); last but not least, I´ve decided to use EL34s in the PA - just because I don´t have any 6L6 in house and one of the goals of this project is to keep costs as low as possible! :wink:

By the way some of the initial "concept" comes from the Orange Rocker 30, which I liked a lot when I tried it... I´m not talkin´ about the schematic itself (I prefer not to clone, and even if I wanted to do it the schematic isn´t available on the net), but more about the tone: a nice beefy crunch, with a good gain amount and a vintage sound at the same time, dark and creamy, almost at the verge of "undefined"/"constipated". :mrgreen:

(By the way in the meantime I´ve discovered that the Rocker was built using the same output transformer as the AD30, which is about 30/35w with 4kohms secondary, just like mine...)

Here´s the latest version of my schematic... I´m still a little unsure about some things, e.g the position of both the standby and the HT fuse, some power supply values, and so on… If you could give it a look and tell me what you think it would be more than appreciated, as I´m about to order the components and start the build! :thumbsup:

(Sorry, I couldn´t attach it because it´s too large)

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo43 ... 43deb2.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;