Amplifier - Tone Controller

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
madamp
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Amplifier - Tone Controller

Post by madamp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:17 pm

These days, I am assembling an audio amplifier. Amplifier circuit diagram stated that the potentiometer which is used for tone controlling should have a liner taper. But I heard that the human hearing is sensitive to log scale and therefore the potentiometers in audio equipment should have logarithmic tapers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiome ... io_control). Now I’m confused with this. Somebody please help me to choose the correct potentiometer taper type for the amp.

Haze13

Re: Amplifier - Tone Controller

Post by Haze13 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 am

I think you need Audio pot. Better - an 23 step, stereo (dual gang), attanuator. You can find those on ebay for very good price.
Try at first cheap pots, like alphas. If you like Log (audio) then go with some thing more expensive, if it's liniar (B) taper than go in that direction.
There is only one law in the music - use it if you like it.
What amp are you working on?

demonufo

Re: Amplifier - Tone Controller

Post by demonufo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:06 pm

It all depends on the tone circuit. In most passive circuits you will find linear tapers are de rigeur. For instance, classic Marshalls use linear on treble, mid and presence. It's still an audio amp and reacts the way you would expect it to.

Volumes should always be logarithmic. Balance pots (should you require one) would also be logarithmic, BUT one side would be log and the other side reverse log. Alpha do A/C pots for this purpose.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!