I designed an amp - does it look safe?

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
jussi
Just the numbers in order: 13492

I designed an amp - does it look safe?

Post by jussi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey,

I wanted to make lower watt version of Electric Amp MV120 (schematics). I decided to use two 6v6 tubes and to use power supply from Plexi 6v6 schematic.
I know most of the sound comes from the preamp.

This is my first time designing an amp and I have some questions. I have built one amp before though (AX84 HiO). I may be asking too much but could somebody check if it looks safe to build? :)

I want this amp mostly for the very heavy distortion/fuzz sound you can get. But I changed the tone stack for experiment and FAC caps (they looked like wrong compared to orange or matamp amps). I also added the unused V1B in parallel with V1A.

Does the transformers and choke I have chosen look like they would be good for this? I get 230V from wall outlet.

Hammond 156R choke would be equivalent (I read from forums) to the NOS choke in plexi 6v6 schematic, but I chose 157R because it has 2 henries instead of 1.5. I want to play this amp with bass too so I would like to have good bass response - do I need even higher inductance in choke? Bass response is good in the OT and its easy to change some caps if needed. What about the 400 VDC max rating - too low?

Here is the schematics

bulatovic

Re: I designed an amp - does it look safe?

Post by bulatovic » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Looks pretty decent i have to say!

one thing, though... I'd wire depth switch differently. Instead of using capacitors in series with the switch inbetween, i'd wire it in parallel, where the 560pf will be always on, and adding something like another 560pf, 4n7, 10n, 20n, 47n in parallel, that way it'd be safer if the switch fails...

as for the choke... i doubt you'll hear any difference between 2h and 7h, let alone 1.5h and 2h... there's also a tradeoff, more inductance, the higher the resistance of the choke, hence more voltage drop in the power amp... And yeah, 400v dc rating is to low if you plan on using it on a 450V rail... play it safe and buy a choke that is used on marshall 50w amps, you'll be fine with that and it's quite cheap as well...
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster