Marshall offset build!

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
libtech
Just the numbers in order: 7

Marshall offset build!

Post by libtech » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:51 pm

bigsmitty

Re: Marshall offset build!

Post by bigsmitty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 am

NICE!

axeman

Post by axeman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 am

You build this amp? Good work, how does it sound?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Very nice build indeed!

I see that you went for the Piher/Mustard combination like a '64 amp using the RS OT, so I imagine it sounds quite crisp and bright with some break up at higher volumes?

The PT is a work of art - looks very like an original type 1 RS, the wire colours like a Metro/heyboer so presumably you made a replica cardboard sleeve with the hook ups on it?

Very cool 8)
Neil

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow, nice amp!!! I had the benefit of playing on original offset JTM45, (~1965 - can't remember the specifics). Killer amp. I bet yours sounds fantastic.

Mike

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Janglin_Jack wrote:Wow, nice amp!!! I had the benefit of playing on original offset JTM45, (~1965 - can't remember the specifics). Killer amp. I bet yours sounds fantastic.

Mike
Offsets were only made early part of 63, they had polished chassis front panel, then went to solid white front panel with centre mount and normal spaced input jacks polished front panels, then sandwich front, then all black with white panel normal input jack spacing and Clapton knobs in early 64. Gold plexi fronts came in 64 still with Clapton knobs. Most JTM45s we see with gold panel gold front knobs and script logo are 66/67.
Neil

libtech

Post by libtech » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:59 pm

neikeel wrote:Very nice build indeed!

I see that you went for the Piher/Mustard combination like a '64 amp using the RS OT, so I imagine it sounds quite crisp and bright with some break up at higher volumes?

The PT is a work of art - looks very like an original type 1 RS, the wire colours like a Metro/heyboer so presumably you made a replica cardboard sleeve with the hook ups on it?

Very cool 8)
Thanks to all! I put alot of time in this one to make it look good. Right, I didn't want to do the 7 hole grey rs cap/carbon comp offset since it would be pretty much impossible to get all the rs coupling caps! Went with the later phier/mustard setup and it sounds very good.

Thanks for noticing the pt, it's a magnetic components, dressed up, hammer tone, selector switch and Yes I replicated the label on the bottom too. The wires are the wrong colours, but you cant have everything right? :) the to and choke are originals
Last edited by libtech on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Yeah, everything that everyone else has said. That looks really great!! The PT paper, hammered transformer bells, and the RS electrolytics is top notch.

Well done. :thumbsup: :champ:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

libtech

Post by libtech » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Btw I still need that coffin logo off of you to make a cab for this guy :)

coldengray
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by coldengray » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Wow that is incredible. Well done you.

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:31 pm

neikeel wrote:
Janglin_Jack wrote:Wow, nice amp!!! I had the benefit of playing on original offset JTM45, (~1965 - can't remember the specifics). Killer amp. I bet yours sounds fantastic.

Mike
Offsets were only made early part of 63, they had polished chassis front panel, then went to solid white front panel with centre mount and normal spaced input jacks polished front panels, then sandwich front, then all black with white panel normal input jack spacing and Clapton knobs in early 64. Gold plexi fronts came in 64 still with Clapton knobs. Most JTM45s we see with gold panel gold front knobs and script logo are 66/67.
Thanks Neil. Knew someone would know all the specifics. The guys that loaned it to us had a warehouse full of vintage amps. Could have sworn it was a 65 ...THOUGHT it was an offset. I looked at a couple old pics and it was a Badge Logo.

Mike

RussB

Post by RussB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Beautiful build! :thumbsup: