JTM45/100 build-no saturation- Output Transformer Q's?

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
Notthedocter
Just the numbers in order: 13492

JTM45/100 build-no saturation- Output Transformer Q's?

Post by Notthedocter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 am

Finishing up my first build...the cleans sound great on both channels...but @ max volumes it does not saturate...not sure why??
I am also wondering if the output transformer used is correct for this build?
OT in question is a MM 0100JM-VZS- which has a 2.2k primary -
I bought the transformers on the recommendation from a builder, when I was, and still am- new to this-but from what I have gathered since, is the 2.2k's (if they ever existed?) where more for 12000 builds and el34's.
Any help / insights are appreciated....
(I followed the 66 45/100 layout outside of the dual PI cap and have a 33k/500 instead of the 250/56- which I am going to change)
Thanks in Advance...happy to provide pics if requested...

neikeel

Re: JTM45/100 build-no saturation- Output Transformer Q's?

Post by neikeel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 am

These 45/100 amps seem to take a while to bed in, more so than some others, I know mine did for sure. I was convinced for a while I had not built it properly!

They do need certainsettings to get gain (Presence on 6-8), (Bass on 0-2), (Mids on 10), (Treble on 7-10), Volume 1 on 8-9 and unused Volume 2 on 4-6

I can suggest tweaks later but play it for a while first (hammer it hard into an attenuator might help!) using these settings with or without a fuzz. :rocker:
Neil

Notthedocter

Post by Notthedocter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks for reply and advice...will try the settings you suggested and see how it goes...I asked Patrick from MM a few questions, and he said that the transformers usually take about 30-40 hours to break in. I am still wondering if the the 2.2k is the best choice for the kt66's? n Yes...this being my first build...I am really wondering what I could have done wrong..ha! Hopefully it just needs some time...but I had read in another thread,..where a person was having the same problems with a 45/100 build, ended replacing swapping the main board, and bang,..it(saturation was - at the higher volume levels) was there. It was never figured out what was going on with the original board he had in there. Anyway,..thanks again...and do you think the 4k OT would be a better fit? Worst case scenario is I could use the 2.2k OT for a 12000 build.
Also...one thing I did notice when I turned the normal 1 channel volume way up..i was getting some motor boating while turning up the control-it started as I went past 6 on the know ? I know I have read a few threads about this,..but cant remember exactly causes this? Any insight there would be greatly appreciated as well if your willing!
Thanks again

Notthedocter

Post by Notthedocter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 pm

K..plugged into the normal channel-cranked and mixed in the bright channel ---with the settings you suggested it saturates! Screw the Neighbors! I had my strat plugged in and had to pick pretty aggressively,..but it is there for sure! It did not sound very creamy yet...but hopefully that will come... the damn thing works! I didn't notice the motor boating as I was raising the volume, so not sure what that was about......currently I have the NFB hooked up to the speaker jack..do you have a preference for the 45/100 on what works best? Now that I know it works..I think it is time to install the PPIMV, (waiting on parts for my Power Brake)
Thanks again,.......

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:56 am

Notthedocter wrote:K..plugged into the normal channel-cranked and mixed in the bright channel ---with the settings you suggested it saturates! Screw the Neighbors! I had my strat plugged in and had to pick pretty aggressively,..but it is there for sure! It did not sound very creamy yet...but hopefully that will come... the damn thing works! I didn't notice the motor boating as I was raising the volume, so not sure what that was about......currently I have the NFB hooked up to the speaker jack..do you have a preference for the 45/100 on what works best? Now that I know it works..I think it is time to install the PPIMV, (waiting on parts for my Power Brake)
Thanks again,.......
You probably have the OT primaries reversed (pin 3 wires).

To check just desolder the NFB resistor at one end and try again, if the MB stops you need to flip the wires.

When run in the 27k/16 ohm taps works best for me on these (if you are running a 16 ohm cab you will have this now).

I have used Metro and Marstran 45/100 OTs to good results (both Drake 1202-84 clones) ie both 4k. :shrug:
Neil

Notthedocter

Post by Notthedocter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:43 am

Motor boating or what I was interpreting as motor boating is gone...I'm not getting any weird oscillation or loud screeching...and double checked with Patrick @ MM to make sure I had the Primaries correct...so should be good there...thanks for the tip on lifting the NFB...something I will keep in mind if it ever happens again...
Right now 4x12 cab is at running @ 8ohms RI Greenbacks...I have a quad of Celestion G12h-30 Heritages 55hz 15ohms...but have not installed them yet...I have been looking for a vintage style cab(100)...missed out on one..and have yet to find another good deal at this point. I will probably put them in this weekend and give it a shot...
Played again tonite at a bit less volume with a Hartman Germanium Fuzz giving it a push...very pleased...almost sold the Hartman a few times...but it really comes alive with this amp...
I am very reluctant at this point to put the PPIMV in, and just wait for the parts for the power brake to arrive..thoughts?
Not sure on the OT...sounds good...just wondering if the 2.2k is what will work best for this..tempted to pick up the ClassicTone JTM45/100 OT to see what difference there may be...
One thing I saw in my notes when I was going over everything again was that the 8.2k resistor was reading 13.5k(out of circuit completely (grey-red-red-gold? I made the mistake of not measuring it when I received it...ab cc resistor...should I be looking at replacing this immediately...should I let the vendor know, or eat the few bucks in your opinion?
Last Question..and thanks for taking the time to respond...the person who I was getting some parts from when I was getting going on this instructed me to install th PI cap between pins 1 n 6 on V3...any opinion if this is better than on the board?
I am very much appreciate you taking the time...read a number of the threads you have contributed to...and have seen many pics of your builds...the knowledge alot you guys have is mind blowing...
Thanks again..... :thumbsup:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:01 am

Never heard of the necessity for mounting the 'fizz cap' on the socket but perfectly valid opinion.

Similarly I have used Metro, Marstran and ****** 1202-84 clones with very pleasing results with each, only ever used one MM OT and it was not for me and not used a Classic Tone either.

A high reading dropper there will just brown out the preamp (potentially reduce head room) but it is really there to make sure your PI plate voltages are correct, a few smart modders tweak this resistor when they are aiming for the PI to push/pull the outputs optimally. 13k is al ittle high, but of course later amps use an 8k2 and 10k or two 10k in series for 18 and 20k to it is not far off the mark.
Neil