Installing an AC power supply in a pedal

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
gnugear

Installing an AC power supply in a pedal

Post by gnugear » Tue May 11, 2004 3:03 pm

I've got a Crispy Cream Treble booster and want to know how to install a jack so I can use an AC adapter. Right now it only runs off of 9V batteries. The newer version has the jack, so I know it can be done ... I just don't want to pay the $30 plus shipping to have it upgraded.

Any quick suggestions?

chris
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Tue May 11, 2004 7:14 pm

Hey Chris. Get a jack from George. He's got the right kind.

There will be 3 terminals. One of them is a ground, one is the power hot lead, and the other is a switching contact that contacts the hot terminal when nothing is plugged into the jack.

The hot terminal goes to where the battery's red wire is now(remove the red wire from the battery from the board). The red wire on the battery goes to the switching contact on the power jack so that when you're not using the power adapter it will default to the battery and when you are using the power adapter the battery is disconnected from the circuit. And of course the ground connection will go to...YEP YOU GUESSED IT! Ground! 8) :lol:

Very simple mod to do. Although I hope you're not afraid to drill a hole like you were on your amp. :lol:

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Wed May 12, 2004 1:18 pm

Thanks!

Seeing as how my Crispy Cream is an early version with no markings and just a plain black box ... I'll have no problems drilling into it.

Heck, I hear that these things are about as simple as it gets (circuit wise), so I might even try building one with better components.

chris
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave