DIY JMP/JTM Chassis, Faceplate blueprints

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
bulatovic

DIY JMP/JTM Chassis, Faceplate blueprints

Post by bulatovic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi there guys!

It's been a long time since my last post, so i decided to do a bit of sharing of my work.. Thanks to Tazin and his amazing work on drawing 50w and 100w chassis i have been able to draw a couple of faceplates that would perfectly fit those chassis - if you ever decide to build one yourself rather than order from a webstore. My goal is to create JTM45, JTM50 and JMP50 plexi frontplate replicas as well as JTM50 and JMP50 rear plates. So far i have done JTM50 faceplate and those rearplates. The font i've used is London Underground with a slight modification for the rear plate - letter M is different; on the front plate it has parallel M outlines, whereas on the rear plate the M outlines are angled inwards. Also i have tried to duplicate the font that says MADE IN ENGLAND... and also J.T.M...
I think that it looks pretty close to the original, but would highly appreciate if someone could compare those with the dimensions/spec/fonts of the originals so that i could make more accurate versions that anyone could use - take to a local engraver and have a really nice plexi replica plates.

I've attached PDF files of my work as well as Tazin 50w chassis pdf (i hope he doesn't mind), but if you decide you need a CDR file, please let me know here.

* i have uploaded 2 rear plates, one with bulgin socket and the other with IEC socket cutout where the opening measures 29mm x 21mm (to fit this socket http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ie ... eries-.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Hope this helps someone :)

Regards,
Luka
Attachments
Rear Plexi Panel JTM50-JMP50 (BULGIN).pdf
JTM50 and JMP50 rear plate with Bulgin socket
(400.16 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Rear Plexi Panel JTM50-JMP50 (IEC).pdf
JTM50 and JMP50 rear plate with IEC socket
(400.15 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
JTM50 Faceplate.pdf
JTM50 Faceplate
(402.07 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

bulatovic

Re: DIY JMP/JTM Chassis, Faceplate blueprints

Post by bulatovic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

I can't upload more than 3 attachments in one post, so here's the chassis.

Faceplate dimensions are 433x66mm, centers of most holes (everything except input jacks) are 31.75mm high... For all other dimensions consult the chassis drawing, i've copied everything from there.

Cheers!

Luka
Attachments
50w Chassis.pdf
50W chassis by Tazin
(184.31 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 pm

For the front:
It looks like the "J" in J.T.M needs to have more of a rounded bottom (more like a half circle if you will) and wider. The top piece on the numeral 1 looks a tad bit short. The numeral 6 needs more of the top arch. The numeral 2 is more like the bottom part of a Helvetica font with the top section like the Arial font. The numeral 4 needs to have a lower horizonal stroke like found in Helvetica or Arial. The letter "B" needs to have a larger top loop. The letter "A" needs to have the horizontal stroke a bit lower. Of coarse the letter "M" needs the two middle strokes lengthened on the front panel. It looks like the proportionality between words (i.e. PRESENCE, BASS, MIDDLE, etc.,) and the dial numbers is incorrect. Either the font size for the letters is too big, or the kerning is wrong, or maybe the polar degrees for the numbers is wrong. Reproducing faceplates can be a nightmare if your shooting for accuracy and don't have an original to work from.

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you so much for this! I am getting ready to do my first custom face plates.

bill bokey
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bill bokey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 am

Hi,

The attached files (faceplates) are no longer available, did anybody download befiore they got lost ? Would you mind sharing them again ?

Thanks ! :)

Bill

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am

Sorry cant help, interested too though.

I all ways could never understand why no one can get a chassis/faceplate correct? No one has an original? What did George base the Metro Valvestorm chassis off of a Marshall Reissue?

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ValveStorm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm

You are kidding with that question... right?
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:58 pm

ValveStorm wrote:You are kidding with that question... right?
No I'm not.

The Speaker Jacks are separated "Modernized" like New Marshalls on Valvestorm chassis and others.
Valvestorm/Metro kit faceplates are nice but they don't really have that correct gold color/sparkle like "sparkys" do.
Zink plated steel chassis are fine and all for longevity or a DIY build but these didn't start until Metal panel or shortly after 70' amps. Every one builds "Plexis" and those were (cadmium?) plating.

Ive even heard of folks welding up the speaker jacks to drill/position new ones correct!

It would be nice to see someone do a dead nuts replica chassis faceplate IMO.
Yyou do have a great product and will use again :D

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ValveStorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:45 pm

AFAIK, George speced all of these from original chassis... I'm sure there was a compromise on the 100w back panels so that they would work with both the 12xxx and the 1969 chassis, and perhaps the JMP fronts so they could work with 50w, 12 series and 1969. The notion that they were speced from reissues seems unfair.
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Rob, Sorry I didn't mean to offed you in any way. I just find it baffling why its so hard for most DIY project sellers to just do it right in the first place. Old Marshalls are ubiquitous for reference but there are tons of company's selling terrible faceplates with awful fonts or headshells spec'd from who knows what and most builders differ. I'm almost starting to believe a lot of builders don't have a reference rather they found some info online to go by or like I mention a reissue.

If the speaker placement on the back of the Valvestorm chassis was based on a 60s Marshall it was most definitely a rare example.

Your product is certainly at the top of the totem pole and I'm am crazy pleased with my custom back panel you had made for me :toast: .

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 am

bill bokey wrote:Hi,

The attached files (faceplates) are no longer available, did anybody download befiore they got lost ? Would you mind sharing them again ?

Thanks ! :)

Bill
Does anyone have a hi res photo of a JTM faceplate and rear panel ?

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Bill, I have two of the files originally posted in this thread...I can e-mail them to ya. BTW, is your gmail address is good?

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks ! That'd be great !
My gmail address is still ok, did I forget to reply to a previous email ? :oops:

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am

I just wanted to double check with ya before I sent the files.