My new build ,high volyage readings

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: My new build ,high volyage readings

Post by fixer2 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 am

Ok I’m looking at other places to get my transformers I’m thinking about Salagening from a old amp I can get for parts but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea either I guess I’m going to have to wait until mojo gets restocked

danman

Post by danman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:02 pm

This is where I buy all of mine. Never had a bad transaction with them.
https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/collect ... ansformers

harleytech

Post by harleytech » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:42 pm

I buy from them also... Always good !
:rock:

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:49 pm

Thank you Dan I see that they are out of stock on the output transformer I want Maybe they will be in stock soon Ill get the others right now

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:14 am

I just got in two of my transformers the output transformer is out of stock . My question is I went with amp parts direct amps 250 ma choke 3 H like what was on valve storm shopping list question is both of the choke wires are black does it make a difference which way I hook it up

danman

Post by danman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:59 pm

Nope.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Thank you

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi I havent heard back from the transformer place I think the output transformer for my new 100 watt valve storm build is still back order.I Just recently got a non tested Laney GH 100L it has been taken apart but all is there any common problems with these amps .Im going to be putting my amp class to the test and see if I can get it going looks like there version of a jcm 800

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:36 pm

Hi I have yet to get my output transformer for my new build which is a 100 watt valvestorm pieces I won’t say a kit but close . My question is I want to build it to out preform a Marshall master volume of the late 1970 s like the one similar to the one that the guys from scorpions used manly the lead guitar stuff like the no one like you sound. I’m thinking about doing a extra tube in the pre amp , so what output transformer will be extra powerful and good for this Marshall on steroidssound what power transformer too , should I increase the filtering cap size. ???Im finishing up a course on tube amps and I build a another amp since the last one I talked about here back in 2016 any ideas would be great any help is appreciated thanks

danman

Post by danman » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:26 pm

Any of the major manufacturers will produce a great sounding OT. Heyboer makes OT's for Marstran, Metroamp and Amp Parts Direct. Since the closing of the Classictone Transformer factory, Heyboer has been very backlogged trying to fulfill orders for their major buyers so many of the smaller sellers are backordered right now. Hammond makes a great transformer and so far they have been much easier to purchase without waiting. Edcor is another transformer company that makes great iron but they do have a 2 month waiting list normally. Some of their transformers are in stock and ready to ship but most will need to be wound and that normally takes a month or two. Just be sure to buy an OT that is designed for the wattage and tube type that you will be using.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:59 pm

As I look into it I also should get a transformer for the ohms of my cab so if I’m thinking right then I should get a transformer for 4/8 ohms if I want to use 8 ohms instead of getting a transformer that’s for 4/8/16 and then I’m not using the transformer to it’s fullest , is that correct . I have been using 16 ohm cab what are the advantage of going with a 8 ohm cab more bass or is it more efficient what are your thoughts . I’m not going to be getting to this point until sometime in February so I’m just doing a lot of research and gathering parts I have most of the parts.

danman

Post by danman » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:59 pm

I don't see any advantage to 8 ohm or any other. If you only use 8ohm speakers then getting an 8 ohm OT will be fine. Almost every OT for Marshall style amps that I have seen always had 4/8/16 ohm options automatically. It's rare to find a Marshall OT with only one secondary winding. The main thing is to always match the impedance on the OT to the speaker you are using.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 am

In this build I want to add another gain stage and do this with adding another pre Anna tube do I need to get a larger size power transformer and or output transformer I want this amp to be very fast in response and have much more punch than my jmp Marshall so I’m thinking about doing more than going to the next step a JCM800 to do a soldano thing and have two stages each adding just a little bit more so it is more powerful and more musical then just doing a one wire mod any ideas on doing this I want to gradually gain gain I don’t want it to be buzzy

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 pm

In this build I want to add another gain stage and do this with adding another pre Anna tube do I need to get a larger size power transformer and or output transformer I want this amp to be very fast in response and have much more punch than my jmp Marshall so I’m thinking about doing more than going to the next step a JCM800 to do a soldano thing and have two stages each adding just a little bit more so it is more powerful and more musical then just doing a one wire mod any ideas on doing this I want to gradually gain gain I don’t want it to be buzzy

danman

Post by danman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:17 pm

I just built a Soldano SLO 50 watter kit that I got from C3 Amplification. The kit is very nice but it is a complicated build with a ton of wiring that has to be perfect. The amp sounds great but it's not a super tight amp. You could change the filtering a bit to make it stiffer if you like.

You can add an extra gain stage to a standard Marshall circuit without needing different transformers. The current draw from one extra preamp tube is so small that it doesn't matter. You will need to get really good at lead dress and soldering because everything needs to be perfect when you are dealing with high gain circuits. I built myself several amps before trying to do a higher gain build. You will also need to learn about tuning the circuit also to get the sound just like you want. Going with a kit would be much easier and you would get a layout to work from. I would recommend a kit from Ceriatone because they have quite a few high gain Marshall type kits with good parts and excellent service. They also have good layouts for every amp kit they sell.