My new build ,high volyage readings

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: My new build ,high volyage readings

Post by fixer2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:36 pm

If this is hooked up correct how ,or what is wrong to make the voltage neg.,Iam going to touch up my soldered joint again .

danman

Post by danman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:06 pm

I believe that your meter is giving you that reading because there is 0 voltage at that node. You need to trace down your B+ voltage by taking the readings that I mentioned at each node. Just follow the board jumpers down the line and make sure that you are getting a DC voltage reading at each point. It may be that you missed a jumper or it could be a bad solder joint that is causing this problem.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Ok I was just thinking thats all but Iam tracing down the jumpers I am even looking at the back or under side of the board . I will get back to you soon.

danman

Post by danman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:29 am

As many others have mentioned before, it is always best practice to run the jumpers on top of the board for easy troubleshooting later. Mistakes are often made with the jumpers, so carefully trace them out and check for mistakes. If possible you can move them to the top of the board, but I realize that is alot of extra work after the board is assembled.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:11 am

Iam going to add jumpers to the top side because of not getting readings all across I get from the first one to the miiddle but not the other big cap in the middle of the broad I have been busy with work in the last few weeks so I am still thinking of the build I am not giving up .I will keep you updated.

danman

Post by danman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:13 pm

It's possible that when you were soldering a resistor to the top of the board, the turret got hot enough and the jumper may have fallen out from the bottom.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Yeah thats what I was thinking , I tryed putting a small mirror under but could not see well . I will do the jumpers on top like you said, I dont think double jumpers ( top and under side of the board ) I see that being OK.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 pm

hey happy thanksgiving

danman

Post by danman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you!! Have you made in progress with the amp?

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi I have been very busy at work , Iam going to try your Idea of the of the new jumpers some time this week end to keep on trying ,this whole thing is got to be helping me in become more aware of the parts and why to build more neater .I do like learning how to figure it out.Because I go into doing this stuff years ago with building effects pedals and reading a few books on tube amps,because i have two tube amps out of the 80 's to get going ,my local music store could not ,but I think I have threw searching out this amps problems I have a good idea what it is.but I have not tryed that one yet because this jtm 45 clone is my first and most important interest .I dont want to leave un finished projects ( like I do with my oil paintings ).Well I just thought I would write so you dont think I gave up ,just got busy.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Well I just finished putting the new jumpers on the top .and plug it into my bulb limiter and it lit for a second then dim to nothing evry thing lit as far as the heaters and after two mintues I plug in a guitar and still no sound at all no hum no crackly sound no hiss at full vol..When I tap softly on the pre amp tubes I cot alittle crackly sound from tube two only. hmmmmm.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:25 am

fixer2 wrote:Well I just finished putting the new jumpers on the top .and plug it into my bulb limiter and it lit for a second then dim to nothing evry thing lit as far as the heaters and after two mintues I plug in a guitar and still no sound at all no hum no crackly sound no hiss at full vol..When I tap softly on the pre amp tubes I cot alittle crackly sound from tube two only. hmmmmm.
Time to get your camera out :thumbsup:
Neil

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Well what do you need pictures of .Could there be a non working new resistor or Cap..I look and compared the board to Tube drawing alot of times now around four or five times I even have one picture of some else tube depot kit build that they say works.Never heard back from Tube depot in months since early aug. that was the only time they e-mailed me this picture that shows some but I can not see the whole chassis .But at that time they said they did ot have a tech on hand so that is all they could help so hopefully we can figure it out here ,with the help you guys ,so far I think we are getting close.

danman

Post by danman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Try to get clear, close up shots of the input jack wiring, control wiring, tube sockets and board. Have you got your B+ voltage to all preamp tubes sorted out after moving the jumpers. It seemed that you were not getting proper voltages to all three preamp tubes before the jumper rework. Check out the Metro JTM45 instructions here http://metroamp.com/downloads/JTM_45_KIT_V2.1.pdf for info on how to take the needed measurements. Your amp is slightly different from the Metroamp kit but the preamp socket wiring should be the same. Be sure to get those pics posted because I have a sneaky suspicion that your problem may lie in the input jack or control wiring. Might be as simple as a missed ground wire but without some clear pics we won't be able to say.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi got to take pictures hope you can see what is wrong may be a cold solder joint or a ground missing .I do know my work is messy so please over look that ,I will try much better on my next build this is my very first one and did not plan it very well .So here they are .