jtm stlye pre amp /tone stacks

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

jtm stlye pre amp /tone stacks

Post by fixer2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:31 pm

I was reading again dave hunters book and looking at the amp he has lay out to build would it be too much to put a JTM 45 stlye tone control set at least the bass mid and treble and two pre amp tubes I call it kind of a old stlye marshall / class five amp that puts out tens or so watts with a single ended EL 34 tube just thinking of doing a little designing and more building now that you guys help me with my JTM 45 clone build which is great but this amp would be fore some one I know that is just starting to play so they dont need all that volume in the bed room any Ideas or does it sound too hard to do ?

danman

Re: jtm stlye pre amp /tone stacks

Post by danman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm

I am not familiar with the amp from his book so I really can not say. It can get tricky when you start to mix and match circuits, and may take some trial and error to make everything work well together. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you if you feel up to the task. If you are looking for a simple amp to give to a beginning guitarist, you may want to look into a small Champ or Princeton style circuit. Quick and cheap to build and easy to get great overdriven tones at lower volume levels.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:44 am

any really good kits I see a few differnt ones but I have never played a old champ and you are right they do sound good for what they are and how simple

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:54 am

Oh yeah I am still looking to source my own parts for the next build after my jtm 45 clone that you helped me with that is working great I just want to build some thong close to it like valve storms 50 plexi get alot of the parts there ( did like building my own turret board I made a jig for my drill press to put the turrets in ) and do that one mod to it like I seen on this board jumping in the vol stages to get more gain and a brown sound .I will have to get back when I write down were in this form I seen the short video of doing this mod and tell you ,just to keep you up dated in what I am doing.I want to get this one book on the pre amp section too to learn more detailed of whats going on in there

danman

Post by danman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Mojotone, Triode and Marsh all sell kits for the Champ. It is such a simple circuit that you could just buy the items yourself and do a scratch build. I like to pick up the inexpensive Hammond project chassis's and build these simple circuits in them. You end up with a small portable amp head that you can plug into any speaker cab you want. If you prefer to build a combo, it may be best to buy the kit with all components and cab included.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:17 am

I have been looking the yweed deluxe is a nice amp and that would be a great practice amp but I also looked at the marshall 18 watt how close to the jtm 45 is the pre amp ,the tone stacks etc. looks very close . Could I do that mod 5 the one wire mod some one was asking about on this form under jcm 800 not having the grain ( I like the sound ) but the mod of one wire that is a you tube video on a marshall major sounds like VH

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:19 am

Oh yea the 15 watt mod build is for me to take it to the next level the tweed is for someone else they are just learning how to play I been playing 30 plus years

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:49 pm

On the 18 watt marshall clone tmb style can the tone stack and the pre amp be the same as in a 1959 model it would really nice if I could even cascade the pre amp so then I would have a three stage pre amp going into a master volume and then all of this into a single one 12 cab so I could really push a greenback and have that sound at a good level to practice at .Well get back to me if any ,or what parts of this could be done or has some one build something like this and would share pictures and a layout of this,Thanks

danman

Post by danman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Sure it can be done! What you are referring to is a plexi preamp mated to and el84 output section. I can't reference a layout right now but i'm sure there are plenty out there. You may also check over at the 18 watt forum for help.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Is there a different forum for 18 waters or look on this forum .Thanks

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm

yes 18w.com

There are a few plexi preamps with either EL84s or 6V6 power amps if you are prepared to search and trawl past threads, I've not been there for a while, I built two 18w and use my 2x12 trem combo all the time, mainly for rehearsals. The TMB18EF86 is in a 1x12 combo (part ceriatone/part my specs).
Neil

danman

Post by danman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:36 pm