Build Vintage Marshall/VOX style selectors

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
cos000
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Build Vintage Marshall/VOX style selectors

Post by cos000 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Hello to everyone

As they are impossible to find, I want to build myself the vintage Marshall/VOX style voltage and impedence selectors.
They don't look so difficult to make. I think a 1mm foil of phenolic, a CNC and some nickel sheet and you're ready.
For the CNC machine it's sufficient to find someone who has it.
For the moment it's sufficient the project of them.
But I need some point to start with.
Is there anyone who can take some measures and detailed pictures of its own amp's selectors?
Then I'll build a CAD file of them and publish it on the forum so everyone who wants can build them.

Who can help me?

Giulio

neikeel

Re: Build Vintage Marshall/VOX style selectors

Post by neikeel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 pm

I can send you one but I would require repayment in kind :?
Neil

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 pm

This sounds super cool! I will buy some repos when you get it sorted.

Neil, I think I remember something like this a while back.. someone made repos you bought. Did this happen and were they good repos?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 am

I've had two sets of reros, brown ones via the Vox forum on plexipalace (no lettering) relatively cheap. Then the black ones with correct lettering from a guy in France. These are spot on repros of the originals that I have but they are relatively expensive. Plus side is that he will do voltage 5 hole, impedence 3 hole with 4,8 and 16 lettering or 8, 16 and 100v markings.

If cos000 can get some made in volume at decent price I am sure he will be able to move a few.

We will wait to see if he comes back. I think loan of an original in return for a pair of repros is a reasonable trade!?
Neil

cos000

Post by cos000 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Hello

Thanks so much . I didn't think this argument would take so much interest.
Firs of all (to not run so much) I only want to make a detailed CAD file with all you need to build one.
So I need few measures and detailed pictures of theese selectors if someone have one and want to help me into this project. All you need is a caliper and a phone or a camera to take good pictures.
Once the CAD file is done I'll publish it here and make one prototype of selector myself to see if the measures and choice of components are right. Then we'll se what it will happen.
I'm sorry I haven't a CNC machine to do them (for the moment. One day who'll knows) but I'd like to help someone who can easily make them or know a shop where they cut/engrave materials (like plate engraving).

Thanks for your time

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 am

Where are you (somewhere in Europe)?

I am in England

Why do you not have one of my selectors, take it apart and then once done put it back together and send me another pair when it comes back 8) :wink:
Neil

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I've had this same project on my "to do" list for a couple of years now and I never seem to find the time to get it rolling. Neil was gracious enough to lend me one of his spare selectors which I made a CAD file of. The one he sent me was slightly different in construction than some of the others I've seen in which it was comprised of the two phenolic discs and some spacers between them. Anyhow, I did send the CAD file out for a 'small run' estimate on the phenolic parts to be CNC machined but the return estimate was some crazy amount money. So, I figured I'd make them 'in house' but that hasn't materialized as of yet. Anyhow, I might consider lending my CAD file to the project if it seems like it may become a reality.

On a side note: George was also toying with the idea of producing the selectors at one time too but I think he was having a tough time with sourcing one of the metal parts.

cos000

Post by cos000 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello
I'm from Trieste (Italy).
I just need that you take some measure, not that you ship me one.
I've got on eBay vintage selectors that are from the years of Vox and Marshall ones but they are square instead of round.
I'll disassembly one to look how the contacts are made and to study a valid solution to build them.

cos000

Post by cos000 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm

So... Did someone manage to make some measures?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I do not have any calipers to measure as exactly as you need. Hence my offer of a loan.
Neil