Power Filtering, new vs old and ....

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
Eric Klinger
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Power Filtering, new vs old and ....

Post by Eric Klinger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:42 am

Hi Everyone.

Power filtering... I would like to know why new builders, even most that I see of "boutique" status, use higher filtering, like a minimum of 50µF on pre/PI/screens etc.

Is there something I am missing? I have a 50 watt Superbass clone and the filtering is switchable. On one side all 3 filters are 50µF+50µF. Then a switch to change PI/screens to 16µF+16µF and a switch for the Preamp at 32µF+32µF.

99.99% of the time I am jamming at the lower filtering occasionally switching to higher to simply see how I feel about it on any particular day often switching right back to lower.

As far as noise or anything else, other than a difference of feel/mojo I see no difference - no difference in stability or noise whether running it hard or not.

Could someone tell me what the deal is on this subject?

Grateful as ever!
Eric

Eric Klinger

Re: Power Filtering, new vs old and ....

Post by Eric Klinger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:55 am

okay so I am going to offer the first semi-educated guess and say that probably because the tradeoff has too little benefits to risk lower filtering.

how does that sound???

danman

Re: Power Filtering, new vs old and ....

Post by danman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:56 pm

I am also interested in the answers. I have been experimenting with lower filtering in a couple of amps and I also prefer the feel of it.