Keyboard knowledge anyone?

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Keyboard knowledge anyone?

Post by BAinFL » Thu May 10, 2012 10:29 pm

So it looks like my son has taken an interest in playing keyboards. Unfortunately, if it doesn't have strings on it I don't know jack about it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Budget is about $400 for KB plus an amp. Don't want too many bells and whistles, drum machines, karaoke features, etc... Just looking for something dependable that we could probably find on Craig's list and get decent resale value on if he's not feeling it.

On that same note, is a bass amp OK for most KB applications? I'd prefer a bass amp if it's adequate for KB...somehting less to unload later on if he or I ever decide to fiddle with a 4 stringer.

Thanks,

Bram
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Keyboard knowledge anyone?

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 12, 2012 5:03 pm

analog keyboard !!!! spend more than 400 $ .

sequential circuits

oh, and for a little cost, get a real keyboard, FM : DX7
or another great one for cheap : Roland D50.

Absolute classics. bought my Roland D50 for 150 euros some years ago. chhheeeaaaap ! for what it is.

These are old, but they're monsters, they're not blip blip toys.

But the question would be : what kind of sounds he wants to play ?

about the amp, well, i'd say : it depends also . does he want some guitar type of saturations ? break up ?
Like John Lord ?

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sun May 13, 2012 4:24 am

Bass amp will be fine if you get one with a HF horn, for most keyboard applications as a monitor.

But don't ask me about Keyboards, since I'm originally a classical pianist. They are the anti-christ, to me! :lol:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

BAinFL

Post by BAinFL » Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 am

Xplorer wrote:analog keyboard !!!! spend more than 400 $ .

sequential circuits

oh, and for a little cost, get a real keyboard, FM : DX7
or another great one for cheap : Roland D50.

Absolute classics. bought my Roland D50 for 150 euros some years ago. chhheeeaaaap ! for what it is.

These are old, but they're monsters, they're not blip blip toys.

But the question would be : what kind of sounds he wants to play ?

about the amp, well, i'd say : it depends also . does he want some guitar type of saturations ? break up ?
Like John Lord ?
I'm not entirely sure what his music taste entails this month, but I'd sure as hell want his setup to get some Jon Lord "Highway Star" type tones. This way, even if he quits, I can have a blast jamming. I've seen him grooving to some of my loud 70's rock so hopefully he'll get clued into some Purple once he gets going on the KB.

Thanks for the model numbers, I'll keep an eye out for those on CL. Is it possible then to get some decent Hammond type sounds in a sub $500 keyboard? Unfortunately about $400 is a hard cap on our budget ATM. Maybe we could delay the amp for the time being if it means getting him a better kb up front...?
demonufo wrote:Bass amp will be fine if you get one with a HF horn, for most keyboard applications as a monitor.

But don't ask me about Keyboards, since I'm originally a classical pianist. They are the anti-christ, to me! :lol:
They were that to me as well back when I first heard Diver Down and 5150 :vh: :palm:
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 am

Get an accordian and mic it through a Marshall.
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon May 14, 2012 10:54 am

Xplorer wrote:
Like John Lord ?
:rock: :rock: :thumbsup: :clap:

Korg M1 is a good oldie as well.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I personally would buy a new one that does it all. Korg makes killer synths. I like the old analogs too buy they are not a flexible. Touch sensativity, aftertouch and polyphony are real important. You want to be able to play as many notes as possibibly without limitation. Keyboards are awesome composition instruments for all types of music. Your keyboard should have an onboard sequencer to play back riffs he practices. He will be writing before you know it.

If you can find a weighted keyboard so much the better. That really helps develop feel for the keys and expressiveness. It wont have that empty clanky sound from hollow plastic keys.
Star*Guitar

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 pm

yes, a few moderns could do it but they all try now to copy the flexibility of the old analog synths, instad of theiur endless numeric screen programs and mouse ... and moderns sure absolutely can't compete with things like cs80, jupiter 8, elka synthex .... the best synths ever

moderns do propose complete different synthesis, and for sure sometimes it's interesting, like the VAST synthesis from a sample with kurzweil, etc.

listen, if your son doesn't rzally mind about the tone possibilitys of the keyboard, just get him an axiom pro 61, to command some vst plugins on a laptop, so he'll have every keyboard types he'll want, and some emulations of the great synths and keyboards and other instruments, and wurlitzer and rhode etc etc etc , it's good enough for not much money, buying little by little without changing of keyboard. And also : tons and tons of virtual keyboard for free on internet, so many great samples etc ... no limits. just a keyboard to command a vst plugin in cubase for example and it's nice enough.

then, why not a modern korg like star guitar said, or a roland D50 , or a DX7 ... they all feature the midi, so you can have both worlds ! no limits. but they can't be compared to each others. Analog isn't the same as D50 synthesis, or Fm synthesis , different worlds ...
but the king of all : the old analog synthesis, think vangelis, Bladerunner soundtrack.
and overall , it all depends of what you're doing with it anyway ^^

jfergis

Post by jfergis » Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 pm

i have used Marshall as my amp and it is really pretty good, you can score a budget friendly model on ebay maybe you could get the basic ones first anyway your son is just starting so that he could atleast have a complete set with your budget although i know that you might overspend a little with the other stuff but Marshall is worth it especially if it is something that your kid really wants you'd never know how good he might be at it