Well SH*T

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

ol foot
Just the numbers in order: 7

Well SH*T

Post by ol foot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 am

Finally went to see an orthopedic surgeon to look at my right shoulder. It had been bothering me for a while but I kept putting it off. It hurt mostly painting overhead or (worse) reaching for my beer :)

Anyway the grandson started little league this year and I noticed a lot of pain trying to play catch with him. I thought I'd have rotator cuff surgery this fall and be fine for spring training. Went to meet the surgeon and they took xrays and he had me move my shoulder in different positions comparing right and left.

Turns out it's arthritis and not rotator cuff and pretty much need a replacement if I can't live with it. I'm 57 and he told me the replacement would last 15 years. I think I'm going to put that off for a while as I don't want to have major surgery especially when I'm in my 70's .<where's the knock on wood icon? >

Guess I'll work on throwing left handed and hope I don't throw like a girl!

I also know there's knee surgery in my near future too. That will probably be a replacement to with my luck :shrug:

fillmore nyc

Re: Well SH*T

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:24 am

Thats some tough news, Footie, but it coulda been a lot worse... I've been dealing with lower back issues for years (who hasnt?? :what: ). NONE of those joint/muscle/tendon problems are a day at the beach. And I just LOVE it when younger guys start pointing out "Ah... you're just gettin' old"...
Yeah, trust me... you're 25 now, but decades pass by quickly... if you're lucky.
:hide:

Age comes with some pretty eff'd up passengers, bud!! Hang in there!!
:toast:

ol foot

Post by ol foot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:34 am

Yeah I had back surgery about 15 years ago, had surgery on my left elbow to remove a bone spur a while back too. Getting older isn't all it's cracked up to be but WAY better than the alternative!

Anyway I'm not really bitching, just disappointed. I have 5 grand daughters but just the one grand son and I looked forward to spending some sport time with him while he grew up. I don't know , I may reconsider having surgery sooner :what:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 am

ol foot wrote: I may reconsider having surgery sooner :what:
Don't rush it!

Warm up, keep it mobile, do the stretches and exercises.

If not affecting daily activities I would give surgery a miss for another 10 years, a replacement will not get you back to sport :wink:
Neil

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:10 am

I vote we start an 'Ask Dr Neil' thread... :lol:

Chap down the road from me recently had two artificial hips (experimental ones, apparently) and he's already wishing he'd held off longer after only a year. Mind you, he is a fat sod and his knees are also on the way out...
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am

I'm only 40 but I had a total hip replacement last year and I wish I'd done it sooner !

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 am

bill bokey wrote:I'm only 40 but I had a total hip replacement last year and I wish I'd done it sooner !
Hips are stable and well proven (well apart from the metal-on-metal resurfacing ones -daft idea!). Most hips last 15-20 years (although a fit mobile 40 year old possibly a lot less). My orthopaedic colleagues now do lots of re-dos which are more complicated (need blood transfusions) take longer and have risks to the surrounding tissues. But if you cannot walk then a THR is sensible.

ol foot wants to play sport with his which I doubt anyone would guarantee as a result. Now not being able to lift your beer glass - that is much more serious!
Neil

ol foot

Post by ol foot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks guys! I've pretty much decided against surgery ATM . Talked with a friend the other day who had both knees replaced not all that long ago and he thinks he needs his redone.

@Neil- That motorcycle swap meet is coming up again.You still looking for that Trumph cylinder head? PM me off board and remind me of the part # if you are.

EDIT: Link for anyone else interested. Pretty much anything you're looking for.

http://www.chiefblackhawk.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 am

Good luck ol foot, hope you get better :D

ol foot

Post by ol foot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 am

bill bokey wrote:Good luck ol foot, hope you get better :D
I'd be happy staying the same :lol:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 am

ol foot wrote:Thanks guys! I've pretty much decided against surgery ATM . Talked with a friend the other day who had both knees replaced not all that long ago and he thinks he needs his redone.

@Neil- That motorcycle swap meet is coming up again.You still looking for that Trumph cylinder head? PM me off board and remind me of the part # if you are.
EDIT: Link for anyone else interested. Pretty much anything you're looking for.
http://www.chiefblackhawk.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks - I sourced the part locally (early BSA BB34GS head) and had the engine rebuilt by a guy called Phil Pearson who is well known in the UK for his Goldstar work. I normally like to do the build at the end myself - but by the time it had a new cylinder liner, rebore, valves and guides, crank rebuild, some welding to the mag platform it seemed sensible to let him do the build and set up with my magdyno.
All I need is a spare day to do the engine swap.
Next on the shopping list is the 5-speed box conversion and maybe even the electric start kit (I don't need it yet but another 15 years on and a broken shin might not be too remote a possibilty when it kicks back :lol: ).
Neil

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 pm

neikeel wrote: Next on the shopping list is the 5-speed box conversion and maybe even the electric start kit (I don't need it yet but another 15 years on and a broken shin might not be too remote a possibilty when it kicks back :lol: ).
I like the way you say WHEN it kicks back... :whistle:

Proper Goldies are vicious things... :twisted:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!