Travelling the Northwest USA and thru the Canadian Rockies

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Travelling the Northwest USA and thru the Canadian Rockies

Post by mightymike » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Like Johnny Cash said, "I've been everywhere man." Well last week was a particulary beautful drive. I drive an 18 wheeler all over the USA and Canada and see a lot of the Northwest USA, and have been into Vancouver, BC (which is not what I thought it would be...very built up old city buildings)... I've allways thought Couer de Alene, Idaho is beautiful.. Mountain lake area, but it is pretty built up, but with nice houses.. The kind of place you could talk your sweetheart into moving to because all the store aren't too far away... That being said, I got to see some new teritory this trip, and wow what a drive....

I picked up a load of Eggo Waffles in San Jose, Ca, and took them to Calgary, AB.... I saw things from the road, that you would have to hike to see in the USA... I know.. I've camped, and hiked all over Cascades, and Sierra Nevada Mountains... I think this is my new favorite run.. Here was my route....

From San Jose, Ca... I5 north to Weed, Ca, then US 97 through the Oregon Volcanic areas which I love (Kalamath, Crater Lake, and one area where the lava rock come right to the road), to I84 East along the Columbia River (Washington/Oregon Border), through Boardman, Oregan, to I 82w west, to US 395N through Eatern Washington... Which is kinda Dry (no Pine trees) till you get to I 90 E and into Spokane, Wa... Then when you cross into Idaho (just before Couer de Alene) you head north on US95... Now this is where it starts becoming like Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom..

Traveling north through the panhandle of Idaho is so beautiful, with mountains, lakes, and meadows.. Lush enough to have ferns on the ground like Northern Coastal Cal, Oregon, and Washington, but with less the fog and Overcast..There was a little town we went through, that you could tell this is where the locals go on vacation, versus Couer De Alene... I think the name of it was Bonner's Ferry, and there was a river (Forget the name) that ran along side all the way into the Canada..

The geology of the area looked like the path of the road must have been carved by glaciers.There was a lake just north of Bonner's Ferry.. Forget the name, but it was every bit as beautiful as Couer De Alene, less all the houses ... Just breath taking... So

So I'm driving through this with my jaw open, just soaking this in, and then I cross into Canada at Kingsgate, BC continuing North on 95 to the 3 east over the Cranston, Fernie, Crows Nest, over the Canadian Rockies and into Alberta...... The further I went the more breathtaking it became.

I saw so many deer it wasn't funny.... (Driving on the rumble strip makes them run away) But also saw Elk, and Ram... I've seen those in Montana near the Beartooth Range north of Yellowstone before, but still cool.. It was kinda funny.. You see those yellow signs with a deer all over the country (USA and Canada), but along the 3 you see signs with a picture of a Deer, an Elk,a Ram, and I think I even saw one with a Moose...lol...

I don't take pictures while I'm driving.. The fine is huge for holding a phone when in a commercial vehicle... $2750... In Canada, you can't even eat while driving..I did stop in Fernie and took some pics though...

I'll see if I can upload from my phone in a bit.. Just want to say, if you want to see some beautiful country.. Check out the Idaho panhandle, and northward... In August it was 73 degrees.

The only thing that would be better would be if I was hauling Amps to a Concert... :rock:

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Travelling the Northwest USA into Canada

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Canadians absolutely f@#king love Eggo Waffles......
12000 Metro Kit

mightymike

Re: Travelling the Northwest USA and thru the Canadian Rocki

Post by mightymike » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm

I let go my eggo in Calgary

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:37 pm

I've never been out that far, but have a ton of friends working out there in the oil sands. Huge money out there if anybody wants to work.
12000 Metro Kit

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 pm

mightymike wrote:Like Johnny Cash said, "I've been everywhere man." Well last week was a particulary beautful drive.
I drive an 18 wheeler all over the USA and Canada and see a lot of the Northwest USA...

have been into Vancouver, BC

Couer de Alene, Idaho is beautiful...

Mountain lake area...

Calgary, AB...

I saw things from the road, that you would have to hike to see in the USA...
I hiked all over Cascades, and Sierra Nevada Mountains...

From San Jose, Ca... I5 north to Weed, Ca, then US 97 through the Oregon Volcanic areas which I love (Kalamath, Crater Lake, and one area where the lava rock come right to the road), to I84 East along the Columbia River (Washington/Oregon Border), through Boardman, Oregan, to I 82w west, to US 395N through Eatern Washington... Which is kinda Dry (no Pine trees) till you get to I 90 E and into Spokane, Wa... Then when you cross into Idaho (just before Couer de Alene) you head north on US95... Now this is where it starts becoming like Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom...

Idaho is so beautiful, with mountains, lakes, and meadows...

The geology of the area looked like the path of the road must have been carved by glaciers...

I cross into Canada at Kingsgate, BC continuing North on 95 to the 3 east over the Cranston, Fernie, Crows Nest, over the Canadian Rockies and into Alberta...... The further I went the more breathtaking it became.

I saw so many deer it wasn't funny.... (Driving on the rumble strip makes them run away) But also saw Elk, and Ram... I've seen those in Montana near the Beartooth Range north of Yellowstone before...

I don't take pictures while I'm driving...
worthless.gif
worthless.gif (41.46 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Im just sayin', Mike...
:what:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 am

I wish I had stoped more.. This was in Fernie, BC after we went through the tunnel. Wish I had stoped and taken pics of the lakes and rivers.
Attachments
GetAttachment1.jpg
GetAttachment1.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 1564 times

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 am

And you get paid to do that?! Awesome trip! Thanks for the points to check out. I hope to cruise that one day! :D
dave

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I spent the night last night in Couer de Alene, ID and just drove for there to Portland, Or... That stretch on I84 about 30 to 60 miles east of Portland along the Columbia river with Mountains and water falls is pretty lush too. I would have stopped to take a pic, but there were no parking on the shoulder signs... I must say this area, and the MT Shasta Lakes to So Oregon areagives that other trip a run for it's money. St. Regis, MT. Was beautiful yesterday. The run I'm delv right now in Portland p/u in Iowa, and I drove I 90 all the way to the Sturgis/Deadwood, SD area, then took the 212 from there throughthe NE tip of Wyoming ( Near Devil's Tower) , through the Crow reservation, and back onto I90 west at Little Big Horn (Custer's last stand), then I 90 all the way through Montana and ID....

St Regis, MT looks like the movie A River Runs Through It

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm

They just sent ne my next load over Tue truck computer, and it doesn't pick up till the 4th. I'm over here in T/A trck stop in Troutdale,Or .If I don't get a sooner load, I'm Gonzalez rent a car and go fishing. I'm not gonna just sit at a truck stop. Not in this kind of area.