Jon Lord RIP

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Jon Lord RIP

Post by jape88 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm

:(
http://jonlord.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The power and force behind Deep Purple.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jon Lord RIP

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 pm

I never liked Blackmore's playing at all...it was Lord and Paice that made the band for me. All the distortion and balls came from Lord's Hammond and Marshalls whereas Blackmore had the overly thin strat sound. Also, the lead lines from Lord were much more interesting than Blackmore's, unless they were doubling each other. Lord was Purple as far as I'm concerned...
Last edited by garbeaj on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

zaphod777

Post by zaphod777 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:00 pm

A masterful player with a massive tone.
Will be missed.
R.I.P.

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:57 pm

garbeaj wrote:I never like Blackmore's playing at all...it was Lord and Paice that made the band for me. All the distortion and balls came from Lord's Hammond and Marshalls whereas Blackmore had the overly thin strat sound. Also, the lead lines from Lord were much more interesting than Blackmore's, unless they were doubling each other. Lord was Purple as far as I'm concerned...
His neo-classical solo on "Highway Star" gives me goosebumps.
He WAS the sound of Deep Purple.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:28 am

SteadyEddie wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I never like Blackmore's playing at all...it was Lord and Paice that made the band for me. All the distortion and balls came from Lord's Hammond and Marshalls whereas Blackmore had the overly thin strat sound. Also, the lead lines from Lord were much more interesting than Blackmore's, unless they were doubling each other. Lord was Purple as far as I'm concerned...
And Lazy, Space Truckin, Place In Line, Maybe I'm a Leo, Super Trooper, Mary Long, Smooth Dancer, Pictures of Home, Never Before, MIght Just Take Your Life, Lay Down Stay Down, You Fool No One, Mistreated, BURN!!!!

And these are the songs that come to mind as I think about it.

Methinks you need to re-listen to Ritchie, garb.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Aye ? Wa happen to Rainbow Rising, ricky? Balls so big ya' can 't even see his pecker. :?

Seriously. Steve said he was unstoppable. Couldn't even keep up with him in both chops and writing.
Says he was true inspiration to him and that he needs to practice everyday for many hours to even keep up.

I grew up listening to him all through his career projects. There's a special place for that class of man let alone musician.Image
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:09 am

My good friend, Greg Smith, played bass in Rainbow with Ritchie for a while. Said the guy was amazing.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

zaphod777

Post by zaphod777 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 am

Personal message from Ritchie about Jon Lord's passing:
Jon was not only a great musician, he was my favorite dinner companion. We are all deeply saddened. We knew he was sick but the word was that he was recovering and doing much better.
This news came as a complete shock. Without Jon there would be no Deep Purple. He lives on in our hearts and memories.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm

NY Chief wrote:
SteadyEddie wrote:
And Lazy, Space Truckin, Place In Line, Maybe I'm a Leo, Super Trooper, Mary Long, Smooth Dancer, Pictures of Home, Never Before, MIght Just Take Your Life, Lay Down Stay Down, You Fool No One, Mistreated, BURN!!!!

And these are the songs that come to mind as I think about it.

Methinks you need to re-listen to Ritchie, garb.
I never cared for Ritchie's tones or playing...just my opinion. All the distortion and power came from Lord. I like the riff from "Burn" and all, but I found myself waiting to hear what Lord would do on every song more so than Blackmore. I never cared for Blackmore's showmanship...seemed a bit contrived to me. But that is just my opinion...

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 am

garb, you don't think Lazy is flawless playing, tone and note choice???? :shock:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 pm

NY Chief wrote:garb, you don't think Lazy is flawless playing, tone and note choice???? :shock:
Nope..sorry! Just my opinion...he doesn't move me at all in any way on any level. Well, as I said, I like the riff to "Burn", but that's it. And I have listened to pretty much their entire catalog. Just not my cup of tea...

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Rip Jon, but I have to disagree on Ritchie.. Playing his songs opened my eyes. He's underrated IMO, and has some thick strategy tones away from the keyboards. Man on the Silver Mountain and Especially my Woman from Tokyo which I did not appreciate until I learned how to play them. He has an unorthodox style and uses majors, but a 12000 with 10000 Iron will get you there. I saw DP during the Perfect Strangers tour. They were amazing live. What a great loss.