The Importance of Learning How To Play

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: The Importance of Learning How To Play

Post by somethin'else » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Wow, Philly AND Chief! And Neikeel! G, you got the big boys in the house!

Philly, totally loving the new avatar! Slick Johnny with the mystery-mojo factor.

How DO you get an avatar to look so crisp? Seriously, I been playing with jpegs and can't get anything 72x72 dpi to come out worth a flip.

Good words Chief! Good words.

I'm really stumped on what to tell anyone who does not have even the most basic level of technique. I honestly never thought about it.
I do know that whenever I was hacking in the presence of someone super high caliber (and they're all around your town, ya know), while I'd be humble and a bit embarrassed, I'd have to just 'let it go' for what it is. Usually anyone worth their salt would always be cool about it... either with a chuckle, or just by allowing me the time to be there in the first place, or a small encouraging comment. Hell, if they didn't say anything at all, then I would just soak up their presence and hope it rubs off!
The good ones seem to do that naturally, 'cause they understand the path and the humility involved.
So, yeah, a nod, prod, nudge in the right direction is all it takes, I guess.
Or . . . if the grasshopper is an imbecile, then a whack upside the head usually gets their attention!

Ooh, right on Zaphod, if you're having fun, then you ARE playing! :thumbsup:

I do need tips on avatar creation, guys :)
dave

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm

garbeaj wrote:...but this is a forum about amps...

Oh well...as I said, I knew this would happen. Suggest that people need to practice and people then conclude that I'm an asshole. Whatever...
Nobody is calling you that, G. Its just counter opinions.

As far as this being a forum about AMPS?? In spite of the MetroAmp moniker, I see it as a forum about music in general. Its why we have a guitar thread, an off topic thread, other amps thread, etc. In all honesty, it seems that some that post here feel this is an EVH forum... Its the only thread that gets any action on a daily basis, which sucks, but it is what it is.

Folks can post whatever the fuck they want as far as Im concerned. I might or might not agree with it, and if someone feels differently, and post as such, I'd hope its taken that way, in the spirit of debate... if not, well... :what:

Lifes too short to get ones ass in a knot over something as insignificant as an internet forum, you know what I mean?
In the large pic, there's WAY bigger fish to fry.
somethin'else wrote:Philly, totally loving the new avatar! Slick Johnny with the mystery-mojo factor.

How DO you get an avatar to look so crisp? Seriously, I been playing with jpegs and can't get anything 72x72 dpi to come out worth a flip.
I Google an image, save it in my "Downloads", open it up in the "Paint" program, and resize it so it doesnt exceed 80x80 pixels, and then go thru the process of hooking it up to become my Avatar.

There might be simpler ways to do it, but they DO seem to come out pretty crisp that way.
8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 pm

EXACTLY, Brother filly!

And you too, something. There is ALWAYS somebody better than you. Now, whether you have the ego control, humility and ears to admit and accept it is another story...

You guys who haven’t had the pleasure of attending the amp show and hearing ALL levels of wankery don’t know what you’re missing…you get exceptional players like Pete Thorn and Phil X and a number of “rwonk, rwonk er’s” as well. But, I’m willing to bet most of the guys Garb is complaining about know full well what they are hearing come out of their hands isn’t what they want to hear and that is the best possible motivation for getting better. Somebody saying “you suck” is in most cases NOT going to motivate someone to practice more (more likely have the opposite effect). An old friend and mentor said as long as you can really HEAR what you want to play and admit /realize you aren’t you’re on the right track. Besides, the average listener (non players) doesn’t know much better anyway. A drummer friend was at a party at my house. He is NOT a guitar player be any means. He picked up my guitar and started playing the hammer on’s from Erection. One of the girls said to me “Holy cow, Bob plays like EVH!!!!!” And it’s those people who fueled that guys ego as well.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm talking about someone who hasn't learned to play ATBL after 9 years of using it for his "demo" clips.

For Pete's sake, if you can't play it, stop butchering it and play something you can play. That's all I'm saying. And this member KNOWS he can't play it, yet he does it anyway. :bang:

I can't play Segovia, no problem. I can't play a lot of things, some I just don't care to. I've never been an EVH nut. Yes his playing is great, but it's not something I strive to copy.

But if I did, I'd do a hell of a lot better job than what was recently posted here by a member demoing speakers...and the difference is that if you have an ear, or determination, you should have decided to either learn it right, or stop playing it 9 years ago.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:05 pm

You've heard me play ATBL eh, Jimmy?? :cry:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

efraser68

Post by efraser68 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 pm

:bang:
Attachments
CautionAxeGrinding.jpg
(36.81 KiB) Downloaded 972 times
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Ah..........penny dropping.............albeit slowly, had a look around at speaker comparison threads :wink:

:popcorn:
Neil

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

I say some jail time is fitting for those who butcher licks with impunity, especially the guys in tribute bands. :palm: +30 days for leaving the phase90 on, +2 years for down right bad tone. Yes, and on a similar note, if you still sweep, you should never see the light of day again. :lol:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Strat you know I'm with you. I give mad props to the guys in the working Van Halen tribute bands...I've met a few of the VH cover bands when I worked at House of Blues, and they are to a man the nicest guys. They are really having fun with it. And they are making good money...well good money for non-rock star musicians.

That said...the "Eddies" do make some howling mistakes and they do leave the Phase 90 on all the time and I've never heard any of them get anything actually correct or even close to correct.

But I can't hate on them...they are truly having fun and getting paid. I do wish that they and everyone else would practice more.

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 am

garbeaj wrote:I do wish that they and everyone else would practice more.
Well, I guess some (me included) are just to busy with the rest of life to find the time. I get around this by not playing other peoples stuff and pleading the "Jimmy Page" amendment, for my own style. :lol:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:59 am

But, if Eddie did 'sweep', there is a certain way it would sound 8) .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 pm

demonufo wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I do wish that they and everyone else would practice more.
Well, I guess some (me included) are just to busy with the rest of life to find the time. I get around this by not playing other peoples stuff and pleading the "Jimmy Page" amendment, for my own style. :lol:
I know what you mean...I'm pretty much coasting on the 12 plus hours a day I would practice when I was in my teens and early twenties. I wish I could play as much as I used to, but I'm not a professional musician and I'm married, trying to have a baby and when I have one I'll probably have even less time.

But a good rule of thumb is to play with focus for at least an hour every day and I do try to get at least an hour or two in every day. And if people would just practice that much it would benefit them tremendously. It is a form of exercise...if you don't want to be a fat ass, find the time to work out. If you don't want to suck at guitar, you have to practice.

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Hahahaha, you wait till you have that baby, bud. You'll be lucky to find an hour a week, unless you actually set aside time to get away from the house with your gear and let rip.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 am

demonufo wrote:Hahahaha, you wait till you have that baby, bud. You'll be lucky to find an hour a week, unless you actually set aside time to get away from the house with your gear and let rip.
...when you have four you have to get out for 2 hours reherasal every week :thumbsup:

spend more time teaching my children than individual practice for myself :wink:
Neil

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 am

Ha! I hear you guys...but hey, I'd say having a kid is worth the trade off :)