The Importance of Learning How To Play

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: The Importance of Learning How To Play

Post by somethin'else » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Those are pretty strict parameters there, g. Like in the 8-12 percentile, or less, will all connect and spooge the circle when someone hits that bend ever so truely. Pops cork. As if they were INSIDe of the soul of the artist who commited that bend to history in the first place! They tapped the universal power that only comes from pure synthesis of all things ... relevant to the bend!
The other 88-92%? Meh, different shades of embarrassment, or class, or level of understanding (growth, maturity, restraint, whatever) if you will.
I get it.
I would also hope that any (one) putting anything out might at least know where he or she may be at with regards to their place in this musical world. And fully disclose their shortcomings up front, to avoid any silence, lack of participation, or needless ridicule or waste of ethernet.
But if they happen to be unawares of their place, may they somehow be drawn to this thread, to be bonked over the head and woken up to it!
May they be inspired to grow, from this.
It is a long journey, dare longer than this life alone. Best get started now!

(enters clowns with brooms)
Cheers!
dave

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Well I don't know about all that:) But I do know that a single step bend is basic rock and blues technique. If you haven't learned to do that, then you need to.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I would suggest that all the time you guys have spent on this thread bitching about other players talent, dedication, training, ears, chops, etc would have best benifitted YOU by practicing yourself. You would be just that much "better" using the time productively. We ALL know the ONLY way to improve is to PLAY. Instead of whining try taking the high road. If you're good others will know by your playing. If you hear somebody that ain't keep your mouth shut. Don't forget, YOU sucked once, too....
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 pm

NY Chief wrote:I would suggest that all the time you guys have spent on this thread bitching about other players talent, dedication, training, ears, chops, etc would have best benifitted YOU by practicing yourself. You would be just that much "better" using the time productively. We ALL know the ONLY way to improve is to PLAY. Instead of whining try taking the high road. If you're good others will know by your playing. If you hear somebody that ain't keep your mouth shut. Don't forget, YOU sucked once, too....
I know that by starting this thread I opened myself up to this kind of response. Look, I know that I still suck, but I felt like I just had to call out the very, very, super basic technique that is often ignored and in many bizarre instances, encouraged.

In the end, all I'm trying to do is get people to practice more and to realize that sometimes when people tell you that your playing is good, it really isn't and you need to practice more. ESPECIALLY, when you don't even have this extremely basic level of technique to start from.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:31 pm

You can't just take comfort in knowing you are better than some and nowhere near as good as others???? I would much rather give a kind word of encouragement to a guy who earnestly is trying as opposed to suffering the ego of somebody who thinks he is so great. Especially the ones who have to TELL you how great they are. Like Hendrix when asked how it felt like to be the best guitar player in the world, he said "Go ask Rory Gallagher"....btw, two guys who's playing I admire greatly and both humble people. A good friend and mentor said "when you think you're great you stop trying to be better". In fact, one of the times I was fortunate to chat with Brian May he was more interested in what gear I had and was using! Talk about class. If he heard me wanking on a Queen song I'm pretty sure he wouldn't volunteer that "I sucked". ( I might say so myself however, but that's a different story....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I hear you...but you are really talking about people that have some basic technique. I'm talking about people who do not have even the most basic level of technique. For instance, if you can't bend a string up one whole step and back in pitch, you have no basic technique.

And I hear what you are saying when you mention people that earnestly try. I'm talking about the exact opposite of those people...I'm talking about the ones that don't even try, or at the very least sound as if they don't even try.

And just to be clear...I'm not saying how great I am.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm

NY Chief wrote:I would suggest that all the time you guys have spent on this thread bitching about other players talent, dedication, training, ears, chops, etc would have best benifitted YOU by practicing yourself. You would be just that much "better" using the time productively. We ALL know the ONLY way to improve is to PLAY. Instead of whining try taking the high road. If you're good others will know by your playing. If you hear somebody that ain't keep your mouth shut. Don't forget, YOU sucked once, too....
NY Chief wrote:You can't just take comfort in knowing you are better than some and nowhere near as good as others???? I would much rather give a kind word of encouragement to a guy who earnestly is trying as opposed to suffering the ego of somebody who thinks he is so great. Especially the ones who have to TELL you how great they are. Like Hendrix when asked how it felt like to be the best guitar player in the world, he said "Go ask Rory Gallagher"....btw, two guys who's playing I admire greatly and both humble people. A good friend and mentor said "when you think you're great you stop trying to be better". In fact, one of the times I was fortunate to chat with Brian May he was more interested in what gear I had and was using! Talk about class. If he heard me wanking on a Queen song I'm pretty sure he wouldn't volunteer that "I sucked". ( I might say so myself however, but that's a different story....
^^^^ THAT ^^^^

I suppose the same could be said for those that cant build, adjust, modify, etc their guitars. I dont judge people that cant, but I really dont understand it either. John Monteleone (a friend of mine) cant really play, but motherFUCKER, can he build an instrument. Thats his end of all things guitar. He has a vision both in execution and tonal result thats every bit as valid and insightful as the best players on earth (maybe more) but I wouldnt urge him to become an accomplished player. His ability to work with wood exceeds the abilities of anyone I know, and he WOULD be the equivalent of Lou Pallo, Jeff Beck and Joe Pass all rolled up in one if his woodwork was translated to music.

No dis intended, Garbeaj, but there are a LOT more aspects of guitar than just learning to play. I have friends that could kick my ass in a headcutting standoff (not many, tho... :lol: ), but they bring ME their guitars to change pickups, do a set-up, mod the electronics, and in one case, friggin' restring it!!!

I dont judge anyone like that, but I gotta say I think its odd, cause to not know that is akin to calling oneself an accomplished skydiver, but not knowing how to pack a parachute.
:what:

(You da man, Chiefy)
:thumbsup:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Great point about "When you think your good,you stop learning", In my case, I was fairly humbled by this young Brazilian,

http://youtu.be/TXI50SHhgp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 pm

That's me brothers! :toast:

How U doin, Filly!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :rock:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:23 pm

garbeaj wrote:For instance, if you can't bend a string up one whole step and back in pitch, you have no basic technique.
Did Segovia bend strings?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

zaphod777

Post by zaphod777 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 pm

At the end of the day, if your having fun, you've already won.
When I see a kid, or adult, bang away on a guitar, playing poorly, grinning from ear to ear :D , I think " he's having fun". For most, that's more than enough. They have reached there goal. Too have fun. Many of US want a bit more out of playing. Most don't. :D

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

NY Chief wrote:How U doin, Filly!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :rock:
Ah, well... ye know me, brudda-man. Ah's jest a' hobblin' down the road on mah one good leg, ah reckon.
:lol: :lol:

Doin' good, Chiefy, thanks!!! Hope yer doin the same, my brother!!!
8) 8)
:toast: :toast:

NY Chief wrote:Did Segovia bend strings?
:lol:

Bet he knew a few chords, tho...
:mrgreen:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

NY Chief wrote:
garbeaj wrote:For instance, if you can't bend a string up one whole step and back in pitch, you have no basic technique.
Did Segovia bend strings?
Obviously not, but this is a forum about amps and it is primarily about electric blues and rock players. No one here is posting a clip of their latest Sor studies.

I think that everyone here that plays blues, rock and what have you that is a variant thereof would have to admit that being able to bend a note up one step and back without totally screwing up the pitch is basic technique...again, for blues, rock and metal, or whatever popular guitar oriented music.

I knew this would happen when I started this post, but everyone seems so concerned with propping up the fragile emotional state of players who don't give a shit about practicing or learning basic technique and I just don't get that.

Oh well...as I said, I knew this would happen. Suggest that people need to practice and people then conclude that I'm an asshole. Whatever...

I don't build amps, so believe me I'm just a rube guitar player. I think that someone that builds and mods amps should be able to use a soldering iron without burning their house down and I think there is a basic level of electric blues-rock guitar playing that people that make clips should strive for.
Last edited by garbeaj on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

garbeaj wrote:Oh well...as I said, I knew this would happen. Suggest that people need to practice and people then conclude that I'm an asshole. Whatever...

I don't build amps, so believe me I'm just a rube guitar player. I think that someone that builds and mods amps should be able to use a soldering iron without buring their house down and I think there is a basic level of electric blues-rock guitar playing that people that make clips should strive for.
I really do not think that people are of that opinion, it is not that personal.

I will often listen to clips, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Bad technique and bad tone both. It is always nicet to hear both good tone and technique, but it goes back to my former point that it depends what the clips are trying to convey, IMO.

Most of us here are pretty easy going so it is give and take, if the clip is crap I tend to keep quiet, similarly if a build is crap I will try to be polite and make subtle suggestions maybe that is what should happen with clips but for me I mainly play out with our band(s)and have no recording gear at home so I am out of the equation :)
Neil

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Right...I'm just trying to encourage people to learn to play. And if they already have a foundation of the most basic technique, then they shouldn't have any problems with practicing.