Amp builder poster

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Amp builder poster

Post by mightymike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Most reading this have seen posters with guitar scales or chords right?

Well after reading how David Bray got his start; when he called an engineer with schematic in hand. Then asked what each part did, and what upping or lowering the value of every part of an amp would do, and noting it on his schematic. This cheat sheet has been used over the years to come up with mods. I would love to see that schematic. I think I could I pretty much could fill in probably most of those fields already from experience. Between all the people here, the rest of the blanks could be filled in short order.

Ever since I read his post about this, I thought It would be cool to make a big poster of a Marshall schematic with notations next to each part stating what upping or lowering that value would do. The process of doing that might make a builder look at changing parts of an amp that he maybe didn't consider before. Me included. Maybe it might help in coming up with something different.

You could have different posters for different amps.

Or even posters for pre amps , power supplies, or power amps.

What do you think of this idea?

tsma
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Amp builder poster

Post by tsma » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:30 pm

mightymike wrote:What do you think of this idea?
Wouldn't hesitate a SECOND to pony-up for somethin' like that.

I'd LOVE it.

-bryan

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Even though were talking about basic RCA handbook amplifier circuits that have evolved over time (most notably with Fender) most amp guys that build, desire to keep their "little secrets" as part of their recipes that make "their" amps stand out from the rest of the pack. I know just from the short(er) time that I've been on this forum comparative to the full-timers, I've seen many discussions on this subject and the hard feelings expressed over (mods/upgrades) where this person ripped off that particular tech and called said (mods/upgrades) his own. It's truly a great idea, but getting everyone to climb onboard is another reality altogether.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm

WHAT ??? :?
mightymike is talking about a simple GUITAR poster like We all had growing up on guitar... :?
The one we all had in our bedrooms ??? kinda like this one... :shrug:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 pm

WOW JJ!!! What in the hell was I thinking of????? Nevermind - "Roseanne Roseannadanna"

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

I think of it as a list and explanation of ingredients so you can come up with your own mods/recipes.

I was thinking you could have a a labeled layout or schematic. Similiar to George's tone board pic with the names of the parts, but then a number next to each part. Then down at the bottom of the layout/schematic you have the corresponding number, the name of the part, what it does, and what changing it's value up or down would do as briefly as possible... Got to be able to fit it on the poster.

You could also have some basic math formulas in the corner of the poster, with a note on which circuits you could use them on for figuring time constants/shelf frequencies.

There's layouts already, so it's just a matter of putting a number next to each part. Then we could start the list here. Later on in could become a poster.

For me the fun part will be going over the parts that I don't normally mess with. I'm hoping for some inspiration and to keep learning.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:02 pm

It's a good idea. I'm surprised its never been done here yet. I always meant to do a chart for layout/schematic comparison for visualizing where the parts actually sit. I'm getting through the Merlin Blencowe books and hes got some great descriptions of how the parts work in relation to each other.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Agreed, excellent idea. There is more to tweaking than cathode and plate bypass cap values. To have heads up before hand, concerning where to tweak/adjust, would make things alot easier.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:09 pm

We could make our own PDF book. The MetroAmp Cork Sniffers Guide To Pompous-Ass Tone."
12000 Metro Kit

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm

I prefer kickass tone myself ! :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:38 pm

My Merlin book is in the mail. I will finally get to read it tomorrow. Can't wait. It's the preamp book

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 pm

That will be the second edition JJ. :D

So, start with basic Marshall 1959 circuit schematic. 100 watt. Schematic and layout with each part numbered on both. Standard value/ Increase-decrease cause and effect. Start at the input 1M ground resistor.
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 pm

mightymike wrote:My Merlin book is in the mail. I will finally get to read it tomorrow. Can't wait. It's the preamp book
Second edition? It's really good. The graphs are excellent for understanding what changing the individual values does. brush up a little on your X/Y algebra. he likes graphs. Read the 1st chapter about 3 times though. He explains gain stages really well, but it builds on itself pretty quick.
The only difference from the first edition is a few spelling mistakes and he removed some of the extra theory that was a bit out there for most building purposes. He explains the preamp tubes in a way that is easily understood. Triodes and Pentodes. Still waiting on the discontinued power amp book. In the mail somewhere. I guess he wants to simplify the power book as well, but that could be years. I think there is a few of us here that will have it though for reference.
12000 Metro Kit

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Yes the 2nd edition. I was skim reading my friends copy. Great stuff. Was reading about the difference in overdrive and gain. Many get these confused by calling both gain.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:23 pm

Yup. Gets into different types of distortion. Harmonic, Intermodualtion, Cut off clipping, Grid current and Load effect.
Last edited by vanhalen5150 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
12000 Metro Kit