Amp builder poster

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Amp builder poster

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:That will be the second edition JJ. :D

So, start with basic Marshall 1959 circuit schematic. 100 watt. Schematic and layout with each part numbered on both. Standard value/ Increase-decrease cause and effect. Start at the input 1M ground resistor.

Yes that sounds like a great place to start. Then to input resisters.... and so on.

white noise

Post by white noise » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am

I think that's a great idea, just like the old guitar posters!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Cool idea! If I ever do amp kit instructions again I want to include notes for the components, including a range of useable valuesin each position. Tweak everything to taste.
I have some incomplete board and component layouts in CAD. If I can finish up a Superlead board I'll be happy to donate it for this.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

tsma
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tsma » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Cool idea! If I ever do amp kit instructions again I want to include notes for the components, including a range of useable valuesin each position. Tweak everything to taste.
I have some incomplete board and component layouts in CAD. If I can finish up a Superlead board I'll be happy to donate it for this.

George

You know, for those of you who've never had a conversation with George, you need to understand this is exactly who he is: incredibly nice and totally generous.

And just as big a dork about guitars, amps, recording and all that business as the rest of us are.

He really is just one of us.

-bryan

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:53 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Cool idea! If I ever do amp kit instructions again I want to include notes for the components, including a range of useable valuesin each position. Tweak everything to taste.

George
That would be really great George. Is there anyway you or someone could draw a line to each part, and number it? Like you see on assembly instructions? I don't have the program anymore or I would do it.
I was thinking everyone could contribute afterwards, by replying to that pic in this thread with a numbered list based on that numbered diagram with the name of the part, what is does, what upping or lowering the value does. Or like you said with common values, and/or the math/reasoning used when modding a part.

Then we can take the best of the descriptions and make a summarized master list for the poster. Most will know a good number of the common things, but others like you, Larry, Joey, Hardriver Mark, Flames... ( Just to name a few.. There are so many really knowledgable guys here) could chime in on the other parts.

These lists that members could contribute would really be interesting to see how others look at things. And it could be more detailed than what ends up on the poster.

Someone might even make a detailed post just about one part on that list and get us all thinking in a different way.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

I would like to see the actual signal path mapped out as well, from input jack to speaker out as well as the secondary type stuff like the heater supply, etc.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Just thinking about this, would a high res pic of an old amp be better than a diagram? You can make notations the same on either. My '70 Superlead might be a good candidate, it's the ubiquitous Superlead layout and values.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Absolutely George... The only thing not seen would be the under the board cap, but a line could be drawn with notation and number.

Hey Chief, I've been thinking a similiar thing.. a layout, converting to black and white, then making a yellow highlight along the signal path from guitar to speaker.. With little windows that would show what it should look like on the scope at certain points if you had a 1khz applied at input with volume up to the threshold of clipping. How to see if DC is leaking through a coupler, and what that would look like, and a sort of trouble shooting methodology summary similiar to what we have in our head when it comes to cars. For example, we have a set of things we go through to determine if you have a bad battery, starter, or alternator, if you're getting fuel, a spark, or vacuum. We learned that shit long ago, and have it ingrained. It would be cool to have something like that for amps. There might already be. There was an amp debugging program a few years back I might need to check out.. It might be just the list of proceedures for troubleshooting that I'm looking for.

Could you imagine having both of these posters above your bench? :drool:

tsma

Post by tsma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Holy-shmoly!

You guys are coming up with better and BETTER ideas on how to do this!

I'll say it again: Wouldn't hesitate a SECOND to pony-up for somethin' like that. Hafta believe tons of other folks would as well.

-bryan

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 am

mightymike wrote:Absolutely George... The only thing not seen would be the under the board cap, but a line could be drawn with notation and number.

Hey Chief, I've been thinking a similiar thing.. a layout, converting to black and white, then making a yellow highlight along the signal path from guitar to speaker.. With little windows that would show what it should look like on the scope at certain points if you had a 1khz applied at input with volume up to the threshold of clipping. How to see if DC is leaking through a coupler, and what that would look like, and a sort of trouble shooting methodology summary similiar to what we have in our head when it comes to cars. For example, we have a set of things we go through to determine if you have a bad battery, starter, or alternator, if you're getting fuel, a spark, or vacuum. We learned that shit long ago, and have it ingrained. It would be cool to have something like that for amps. There might already be. There was an amp debugging program a few years back I might need to check out.. It might be just the list of proceedures for troubleshooting that I'm looking for.

Could you imagine having both of these posters above your bench? :drool:
EXACTLY,mm!! :thumbsup:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

mark enger

Post by mark enger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 am

There's something like this over @ 18watt.com i beleave it was a 18watt TMB layout with tweakers guide

white noise

Post by white noise » Sun May 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Would be nice to also have a Current Diagram kind of like this one:

and more of a breakdown of the stages, kind of like this but with a layout and the Schematic with it!:

maybe a poster of a 2203 and one of a 12xxx!

A must have is little arrows showing the signal path from input jack to output jack.

I think I would of wall papered my whole room with it if I had that a few years ago!

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun May 18, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm in. :thumbsup:

Ferrari-Dude

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Sun May 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Ibid
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass