eric sardinas

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

45auto

eric sardinas

Post by 45auto » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 pm

y'all seen this ol' boy? he reminds me of the good ol' johnny winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJ7v5tx ... ed&search=
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: eric sardinas

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 pm

45auto wrote:y'all seen this ol' boy? he reminds me of the good ol' johnny winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJ7v5tx ... ed&search=
yeha i had the pleasure of playing the same venue with him. it was so fucking kewl how while he was playing solo to the crowd he kept turning hsi guitar volume lower and lower untill he was all the way off! just playing his guitar acoustically on stage. everyone was silent so they could hear him, that fucking rawked - if u havent seen him live u have to at least once.

hes one bad ass mutha fuka! 8)

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:51 pm

I love listening to him, he's always balls to the wall!!!

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Re: eric sardinas

Post by MacGaden » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 am

rockstah wrote:.... kept turning hsi guitar volume lower and lower untill he was all the way off! just playing his guitar acoustically on stage. everyone was silent so they could hear him, that fucking rawked - if u havent seen him live u have to at least once.

hes one bad ass mutha fuka! 8)
I saw BB King do this once, by accident. He turned his guitar down lower and lower, and his hand slipped and he turned it all the way off. You could see him thinking "Shit!", but the band followed him down, and he played a whole chorus that way. On a 355 ! And you could hear him ! It was in a hall with a couple of thousand people, and we were all on the edges of our seats to hear BB play the blues !
Gave me goosebumps. Still one of the coolest live moments for me !
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:08 am

Slide players must use some alternate tunnings, because I was trying to figure out Riverside Blues one time, and it didn't sound right. I should dload the Guitar Pro Tab of it.

Slide guitar is my most untraveled part of my guitar.
To be a complete player, I should really pursue it will full gusto,, because when done right it sounds sooooo good live. And it's making a comeback with guys like Eric, Will Ray, and Derreck trucks

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:55 am

I learned to play slide in standard tuning in the first real band I was in. We had this booking agent that would book us into these backwoods country and western places in the Nortwest. We were a three piece hard rock and blues band.
After a couple of gigs of looking at inbred redknecks that wanted to fight or fuck us (or both) I got really good at it REALLY fast. Our drummer called it our Country Western Ass-Saver.
I never learned how to play open tuning though because I didn't want to have two guitars at a gig. We never knew if we were going to have to leave in a hurry.

But Mark's right. That is one badass slide player.

Mike
Never settle for an amp thats smaller then you are.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:07 am

Apparently Sardinas uses open G or open D, but often capoed too.

You could start playing slide in standard tuning, you just have to think of the fingerboard in different way. If you look at the D, G and B strings it
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:16 am

I started by using a major pentatonic scale. Most of the chord is right there. After awhile you start to see and hear all kinds of stuff on your way around the notes.
I f you want to learn it quickly, invite some backwoods rednecks over :P .

Mike

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:30 am

get a slide - tune your guitar so when you strum it open it plays am open D chord like this

low e string down a whole step to D
a string remains the same
d string remains the same
g down a half step to F#
b string down a whole step to A
high e string down a whole step to D

this actually makes the shape of a standard e chord but down a full step so its a D chord in actuality. easier on the strings and neck!

now take you your slide accross all the strings at the 5th fret u are playing a G chord. up two more frets an A chord - mess with that for a while - hit single notes too!
instant slide o rama! ;)
Mark

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:06 am

mightymike wrote:Slide players must use some alternate tunnings, because I was trying to figure out Riverside Blues one time, and it didn't sound right. I should dload the Guitar Pro Tab of it.

Slide guitar is my most untraveled part of my guitar.
To be a complete player, I should really pursue it will full gusto,, because when done right it sounds sooooo good live. And it's making a comeback with guys like Eric, Will Ray, and Derreck trucks
That's me too......to do it right seems you gotta learn at least three different tunings and get your left hand technique down cold, and instead I'm building another amp........ :roll: :roll:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Hey Bad Kitty,
Funny you mention learning country to save yourself an ass woop'n.
Sometimes we felt like the guy who took Josie Wales across the river.
You have to play to the crowd that's there. Some of the places we played at, were restuarant/bar with dance floor. We'd start at 9, and sometimes there would be some people still eating. If they were old people, we might have to play 50s shit MAc The Knife, OOh Baby Baby, My Girl kinda stuf, and not to loud in our first set. Next night we have a bunch of country people and We're playing Crazy, and more southern Rock type stuff. But by the end of the night we would be louder and rocking as the the night went on. That seemed to be the formula. We'd sneak the rock on them in gradually. :twisted: :twisted:

Eveybody was usually cool, but it can get crazy sometimes with the drunks.
.45 in the case, just in case- was standard equipment. We were cool with the bouncers (if there were any depending where we were playing) and we'd back each other up. So if someone acted up, they'd have the bouncers and most of the band throwing them out.

It's not all fun and games. Some scary shit at times when we played at some parties, before I played at clubs.. I've been shot at before , right as we were packing up our gear after playing a party in Lake Elsinore.
Good thing they missed. Then my muffler fell off, and I went under the car to put it back on about a block down the road, and the fucker that shot at me walks up, and thank goodness was apologizing for shooting at me. I understanably accepeted the apology from under my 65 NOVA, with a rag in my hand holding up the mufller and tying the fucking coat hanger.
Hey I was youndg and poor back then.
This was like 20 years ago. Before I learned how to play motown or cowtown. You learn it or else.

Now that I think of it, I'm lucky I didn't get beat up for Moby Dicking "One Way Out" and playing "I know a Little" without slide. We had a real good singer though. He probably distractred the aaudience from noticing. :P

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:50 pm

mightymike wrote:.................
.45 in the case, just in case- was standard equipment..................

It's not all fun and games. Some scary shit at times when we played at some parties, before I played at clubs.. I've been shot at before..........

Now that I think of it, I'm lucky
''''
Holy crap Mike ! I thought the city was bad.
You say "Now that I think of it, your lucky"...? :lol: Wadda ju nutz... Hell yeah your lucky ! What you gotta think about it?!
I do like your standard equipment though !

Seen Eric here in Chicago last month...which makes it the forth time...Still can't get enough of his playing & showmanship.
I did have a chance to meet him one of the times,and talk for a few. We shook hands and took a picture .That's when
I really notice how heavily he was tattoed... He is definitely a kewl guy with lot's of energy.
I seen him open up for Steve Vai at the House of Blues and the place exploded !
I was hooked ever since. ( think they were both on the same label touring together at the time...)
Now, if I could just see Derek Trucks that would be great !

Jimmie K.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:45 pm

DT and Eric are both amazing players.
I'm gonna try to see both ASAP.

And as far as playing bad areas.
It wasn't that bad all the time. I've only had a gun pulled on me once as a musician, and we only had a bad incident once every 6 months tops.
But the amount of good times (especially drunk horny women/and strippers) far outnumbered ,and far outweighed any danger.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:37 am

Hey Mikey, I ran into Miss etiquette 2007 she's coming over to get her panties back ... Image

Jimmie K.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:33 am

When I moved down here the last time I hadn't even touched a guitar for five years. I met my wife and she started prodding my to start one. She was singing with this old guy in an old time country bad. One night I get invited up to play in this pace where the beer was three feet off the floor and it was costumary to piss in the parking lot. So we did Crazy.
This chick with more tattos then teeth and the breath to match, walks up, flashes a gun tucked between her rather ample boobs and whispers in my ear, "The blonde chick sings and no body gets hurt."
It's funny how all those old country standards came rushing back into my hands. All of a sudden I'm doing songs I've only heard on the radio and late night TV commercials. Complete with slide solos done with anything I could get my hands on.
I was glad when she finally passed out.

Mike