1959 clone

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

thisisbabak

1959 clone

Post by thisisbabak » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:52 am

Hi all,

I'm a total novice when it comes to the technical details of guitar amps - but have tried quite a few different models and know (or at least like to think I know) what "tone" is. I currently jam on a Epiphone Valve Junior combo (5w class A tube amp) which I actually opened up and did a small mod to reduce an annoying buzz. However, since I graduated and have a job now - I can afford to buy an amp like the amps my heros played.

I heard about the 1959 100 watt Marshall plexi clone kit from MetroAmp at the Plexi Palace forums and decided against buying the 1959SLP Marshall reissue in favor of the MetroAmp clone. I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding the MetroAmp complete kit.

1. I read some reviews that say you can build the amp to '67-68 or '69 specs. What's the difference, and do I need to specify anything to George when I order?

2. How do the MM transformers compare, and are they worth the extra $75 each?

Also, a general question regarding these types of amps that I've been wondering is if removing two tubes will bring the output closer to the 50 watt 1987 model - and if so will operating the amp continuously like this cause any harm to either the amp or speakers?

Thanks,
Babak.

jbzoso2002
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jbzoso2002 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:28 am

HI as far as what circuit to use they all sound great.
a lot of people are useing the 1968 12xxx series. i just
built one and it sounds really great. do alot of reading.
heres a sight with some good info http://marshall.redpt.com/clay/marshall ... s_101.html

mm transformers are vey well built and sound great but so
do the metro amp transformers you cant go wrong either way
i used metro ampers and im very glad i did. as far as pulling
2 tubes: it will change the character of the amp a bit. if you
want to do that why not just build a 50watter. also look at a
jtm45. it will give great tone at a lower vol level.
also an attenuator or master volume is a great option to lower
your volume

jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 am

Start searching and reading everything you can around this forum. Doing so, will not only answer your questions, but it will educate you thoroughly on the SuperLead circuit and will help you avoid problems as you build your amp. Knowledge is king and the more research you do before you start building, the fewer headaches you will have.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum... you made the right choice.

thisisbabak

Post by thisisbabak » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Jimmy - I was just curious on the removing of the two tubes, not to lower the volume level - but to add versatility in the sound. I'm not sure about this but don't think there'll be much difference (i.e. double) in the volume level of a 50w vs 100w. I'll use the Ultimate Attenuator most of the time to keep the volume reasonable.

wdelaney - Totally agree.

I searched for plexi era amp info and stumbled across this site which I think has a lot of great info:
http://www.legendarytones.com/marshallshoppers1.html

I guess what I want to build is the '68 JMP style superlead - the model that was made with the smaller transformers and lower plate voltages than the '66-'67 JTM style superleads (info source is the legendary tones link above). Anybody know if Page used this amp on Zep II and later?

Also I assume that to order this amp I select the '67-'68 bare bones and select complete '68 specs package.

toner

Post by toner » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 pm

thisisbabak wrote:Jimmy - I was just curious on the removing of the two tubes, not to lower the volume level - but to add versatility in the sound. I'm not sure about this but don't think there'll be much difference (i.e. double) in the volume level of a 50w vs 100w...
You are correct about the volume change of removing two tubes. It will lower the volume a little but mainly affects how early the power tubes break up. Running a 100w with two power tubes usually gets a more compressed, smoother overdrive but you lose some of the "punch" and dynamics.

Also, if you pull two of the tubes you should set your impedance switch to half (16 ohm cab = amp set to 8 ohm).

BTW, you made the right choice to go with a Metro vs. the Marshall reissues. I've changed so much in my 1959 RI that I should remove the Marshall logo.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:16 pm

thisisbabak wrote:I searched for plexi era amp info and stumbled across this site which I think has a lot of great info:
http://www.legendarytones.com/marshallshoppers1.html
Yes! Dave's "Marshall Shopping Guide" articles are full of great imformation.
thisisbabak wrote:Also I assume that to order this amp I select the '67-'68 bare bones and select complete '68 specs package.
Page's tone has been debated... most think he's more '67 specs with the 2" Drake OT and shared cathode.

thisisbabak

Post by thisisbabak » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks for the tip - so correction I'm aiming to build a '67 superlead. Do I choose the "100 Watt Plexi Stlye Amp Kit" for $1099 as this has instructions (and the required parts I'm hoping) to build to '67 specs?

I also wanted to learn about the different transformers, can anybody provide a few lines contrasting the features & pros/cons of the available options for this kit? Thanks a lot.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:53 pm

NO -- the "100-watt Plexi Amp Kit" will build a '69-era Super Lead (or Bass if you specify.) You can change some values around to get closer to a '67 with it -- mainly order the Super Bass and also get (2) extra 32uF/32uF capacitor cans and (2) extra 16uF/16uF cans to substitute for the stock value filter caps in certain areas of the amp. This kit comes with instructions.

The '67 complete kit comes with all the parts for the '67 amp but no instructions or support other than this forum. George hasn't had the time to offer any other tech support for this kit, it was offered due to popular demand only.

That said, there is a great layout you can download for the '67 amp, and scores of us here have built them. So even with support via forum only you've got a pretty big support base. And most of the guys have posted pics that can be of great help along the way.

With careful research and reading here, the layout, and lots of pics? With patience and careful work you CAN build the '67 amp if that's what your heart is set on!!!

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:10 pm

thisisbabak wrote:Thanks for the tip - so correction I'm aiming to build a '67 superlead. Do I choose the "100 Watt Plexi Stlye Amp Kit" for $1099 as this has instructions (and the required parts I'm hoping) to build to '67 specs?

I also wanted to learn about the different transformers, can anybody provide a few lines contrasting the features & pros/cons of the available options for this kit? Thanks a lot.
Read the "Transformers & chokes" thread. It's got everything you need, oncluding a sticky called "Heyboer v. MM"

thisisbabak

Post by thisisbabak » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Flames-

Ok so I decided on the '67 100w. What I wanted to know is what I would need to purchase to be able to build to

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm

[quote="thisisbabak"]Do I buy the

thisisbabak

Post by thisisbabak » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm

Flames1950 wrote:The '67 complete kit comes with all the parts for the '67 amp but no instructions or support

Do you know what Flames is referring to above? Is this just the bare bones + the '67 parts from the list?

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Bring up the barebones kit in the store, and there should be a "complete kit" option to check towards the bottom of the page..........

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Yeah, it's still there......check the "complete '68 spec +$1200".......

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bluze81 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:34 pm

thisisbabak wrote:
Flames1950 wrote:The '67 complete kit comes with all the parts for the '67 amp but no instructions or support

Do you know what Flames is referring to above? Is this just the bare bones + the '67 parts from the list?
That is what flames is saying , I also did my first build with the bare bones chassis and boards,then look at the 68 or 67 parts lists and start getting parts ya need, your choise of transformers, I went with the Dagnall clone output,very nice sound and the metro dual tap power transformer, you just have to research and ask questions about 67 spec and parts,another good site for info and pictures of orig, marshalls is Marstran.com plenty of info on Metro forums and Marstran thats how I did my build,you just have to educate yourself on the year clone amp you want to do.