Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:06 pm

[quote="carlygtr56]
I got Cactus show from the Action House!![/quote]

No fucking way?!?!?!!??!!

They were supposed to play at a club way out east. It was a winter blizzard but my buddy and I drove all the way out from Elmont on Sunrise because it was Cactus (don't remember what line up). We were the only ones that showed up. Us and the bouncer. Not even Cactus showed up... :x
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:04 am

Hey Eargasm, what about that band psychodelacasi, I think they were called. If I remember correctly they were from Detroit, or was it Milwaukee ? That guitar player was in the Guitar Player spotlight section back in '95. Real funky riffs, had lots of wha going on.

45auto

Post by 45auto » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 am

Andy Timmons, kind of a local guy.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eargasm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Eargasm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Hey Eargasm, what about that band psychodelacasi, I think they were called. If I remember correctly they were from Detroit, or was it Milwaukee ? That guitar player was in the Guitar Player spotlight section back in '95. Real funky riffs, had lots of wha going on.
Hmmm, I don't remember that band, but I was really only into the Detroit club scene from about 83' to '88. I did a Google search but didn't find anything...I did find a band called "Psychedelicide" though...(?)
Fuck it.

npminard

Post by npminard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Eargasm wrote:
npminard wrote:If you remember Seduce from the Detroit area, how about Halloween? I think Rick Craig was a great guitar player.
Yep, you couldn't miss Halloween if you went to Detroit clubs for any length of time back in those days. Rick is a great player, and another really cool guy. He and I became friends after Halloween disbanded, but I haven't talked to him in a while. Heard he is doing well though, moved down south and now owns his own music store. God, remember his red V? That thing sounded great...I remember once he told me (with a twisted glint in his eye) that "People tell me sometimes that I have shitty tone, and I say - well, at least it's MY shitty tone!". Hehehehe! What a nut! He had a great sound, and it was definitely his own distinctive voice.
didn't know that he was still around and involved w/music, although i recently read about him on the forum @ http://motorcityrock.com

cool story, "my shitty tone..." :lol:

blfrd
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by blfrd » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Greg Williams from central Illinois area. He's been around since the mid 60's and is "the guy" everyone mentions around central IL.

Not a shredder, but can definately shred. The fastest rythym player ever seen. His right hand is un-heralded for lead and non-lead guitar.

His band opened up for the Yardbirds with Page in Peoria around '67, I think. He shared a dressing room w/ Page and learned 'Becks Bolero' I think.

Until some guy came and told him to leave because, "Mr. Page needs to change his shirt".

He did a brief stint with Head East too. Good guy.
If there's no quiet, there can be no loud.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:50 am

45auto wrote:Andy Timmons, kind of a local guy.
C'mon ! :lol:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:08 am

That might be them Eargasm.

Here's a guy y'all might remember........Billy White.
He was on that first Don Dokken solo album "Up From The Ashes". That guy was great. John Norum was also on that album, but in a more 'limited' capacity. Billy white had that whole melodic/hard rock solo style down about as good as I've heard.

I remember thinking back then, after hearing both Don's and George's first post Dokken releases, that Billy White's playing was even better than Georges (and I'm a huge Lynch fan !) Being honest, I actually preferred the Don Dokken album for song's as well.

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:38 am

Down south in Florida, early 80's to mid 90's, a band called stranger. Ronnie Garvin was the guitar player. 57 strat with a DiMarzio PAF, 72 100 watt Marshall on 10 with a 4X12 loaded with EV SRO's. Never heard anything like it in my life. To help with the volume of that beast, he had a piece of carpet covering 3 of the 4 speakers on the cab. Had a rhythm style straight out of the swamp with tone to match. Unbelievable how good this band was. They just put it down right.
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:52 am

Tone Slinger wrote:That might be them Eargasm.

John Norum was also on that album, but in a more 'limited' capacity. .

I would say far from 'limited' capacity. Why do you say that?

Here's one from around LA.

"Craig Collins Turner was Randy's most technically advanced student so much so that Randy after a short while, could not teach him anything else. Randy taught him at his home as opposed to Musonia. He brought him to the shows with him and mentored him during his last several years in Quiet Riot.
Craig played in a band with Kelle Rhoads called Grand Theft. He also spent 8 years on and off teaching Randy's students at Musonia. He played in several bands with Drew Forsythe most notably Network and Highlander. He went on to play in a version of Quiet Riot pre Metal Health days and after the crash was asked to audition for Randy's job with Ozzy. The final three guitarists up for the job with Ozzy came down to Craig, George Lynch and Jake E. Lee.
The first to go was George Lynch. It came down to Craig and Jake E. Lee and ultimately Jake got the job."

I found that on a RR web site. My friend was a student of his and we would goto Network shows. Don't hold the Quiet Riot thing against him :lol: . One of the best guitar players Iv ever seen.

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:34 am

Cool. 8)
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:35 am

jnewlyn wrote:Down south in Florida, early 80's to mid 90's, a band called stranger. Ronnie Garvin was the guitar player.
Wow! Now that's a blast from the past...I remember my brother going on about "Swamp Woman" when we were teens. I can't remember whether I saw them live or not but do remember them playing around town all the time. Sad to hear Ronnie pulled Kurt Cobain with a shotgun.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Oh Mark, I didnt mean that in a bad way, hell, John Norum is Fuckin awesome, just that on that album ("Up From The Ashes") John was still with another label, and didnt get the same amount of 'playing space' as Billy White. I dont consider Norum to be unknown. I thought his playing on that Europe album "The Final Coutdown", was excellent. His style had elements of Blackmore, Schenker, Roth,Moore and Malmsteen, but at a very high commercially melodic level, that seemed to elude alot of the afore mentioned players.

I saw Don Dokken on that tour, it was Don, John, and Billy, along with Accepts bass player and King Diamond's drummer. Don was complaining of laryingitus, but said he didnt want to cancel ($$ probably). Hell John Norum, by singing a whole hell of alot, saved that show, cause Don was sounding like Marge Simpson that night :lol: .

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:43 pm

NitroLiq wrote:
jnewlyn wrote:Down south in Florida, early 80's to mid 90's, a band called stranger. Ronnie Garvin was the guitar player.
Wow! Now that's a blast from the past...I remember my brother going on about "Swamp Woman" when we were teens. I can't remember whether I saw them live or not but do remember them playing around town all the time. Sad to hear Ronnie pulled Kurt Cobain with a shotgun.
SWAMP WOMAN. :D yeah man. That was their signature song. If you'd seen them, I'm sure you'd remember them. They were just a real pro act and didn't have this Rock Star mentality at all.

Ronnie and I became close over the years and had called me a couple of weeks before killing himself. No way I could have seen that coming during our conversation. He was himself although a little bummed that he was getting divorced because he was going to move to Nashville where he had stuff lined up as a country/rock/session player and being away from his two kids was rocking him a bit. The band (Stranger) was also at the end so no doubt after a good 15 years at it, it had to sort of sink him a bit spiritually but he was looking forward to it all. He sounded good. Being in CA at that time, I didn't get all the details but still wonder what was really in his head. Sucks, I miss him and his playing.
Cheers to the ears.

T.J.Fuller

Post by T.J.Fuller » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:21 pm

jnewlyn wrote:
NitroLiq wrote:
SWAMP WOMAN. :D yeah man. That was their signature song. If you'd seen them, I'm sure you'd remember them. They were just a real pro act and didn't have this Rock Star mentality at all.

Ronnie and I became close over the years and had called me a couple of weeks before killing himself. No way I could have seen that coming during our conversation. He was himself although a little bummed that he was getting divorced because he was going to move to Nashville where he had stuff lined up as a country/rock/session player and being away from his two kids was rocking him a bit. The band (Stranger) was also at the end so no doubt after a good 15 years at it, it had to sort of sink him a bit spiritually but he was looking forward to it all. He sounded good. Being in CA at that time, I didn't get all the details but still wonder what was really in his head. Sucks, I miss him and his playing.
I used to play a club in the late 80's called "the Other Place" up by Daytona Beach and Stranger was always the buzz for the top Florida
bands back in the day.

I think I also saw them at "The Pier" in Daytona too

Great singer and Great guitarist!
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;