Jake E. Lee

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Yngve
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Yngve » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Jake E Lee made me want to shred. Love how he approached to the guitar and his presence on stage and how he held that guitar. LOVE his technique!

Today these new bands that come out dont have this...

YHWH

Post by YHWH » Sat May 24, 2008 3:49 pm

... anyone notice how the riffs for 'Rock and Roll Rebel' and Dokken's 'Lightning Strikes Again' are similar? :roll: They're even both played in the second fret... and stretch to the seventh! :lol: There's an Ozzy song called "Lightning Strikes" too... :?

... wonder if George and Jake were trying to *out-riff/out-songwrite"* each other back in the day... :P

Yngve
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Yngve » Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 pm

What is your favourite piece that Jake Played?

I love:

The Last Time
(0.17) Love the rawness out the riff!
(2.27) Love the rawness of the chord here where its so distinctive.

Fool Like You
(4.17) love how the notes ring out!
(4.44) Love the solo how it screams out like calling out!

Tried the Budda 80 and clearly l can get this tone!

I have said alot of the LOVE word l guess l am a passionate guy :D

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 28, 2008 5:20 pm

I actually love those echoey volume knob swells in "Your No Different" off of 'Bark At The Moon'. Those were very effective, displaying that perfect depressed 'low self-esteem' vibe that the part called for.

ghettoshelf
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jake E. Lee

Post by ghettoshelf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:01 pm

This morning a Badlands song from the second record came on my ipod.I love the stuff he did with Ozzy but his tone on the Badlands stuff is my favorite.Very bluesy and tasteful playing.I like the fact that he didn't use a Floyd like most of the players of the 80s got stuck on.He is one of the guitar players from that period I never got to see and to this day wish I could.It's also nice to hear that the 3rd record is good.I've almost bought it a couple of times but was afraid because of the price.I like the Randy/Ozzy records but I think Jake was my favorite.I've seen Zakk with Ozzy and it was o.k. but damn I get it you got the pick squeal down.I also saw Zakk with Pride and Glory and really enjoyed that show.There was only about 20 people at that P&G show.The BLS stuff is just total shit in my opinion.Also saw Ozzy with Joe Holmes? if anyone remembers that period of Ozzy.Glad I found this on the forum with all the live links.It would be nice if Mr.Lee would tour with someone again so I could get the chance to see him live.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 am

Yep, Jake didnt use a floyd or Fender trem. He said in an old '85 interview that he didnt like a tremelo, cause for him, he felt like that everytime he reached for it (bar) was when he didnt have anything better to do. Like a gimmick or something.He said he made it a point to play something in that space(when he used to reach for the bar) that was better. I really took that to heart, though I do use a tremelo a fair amount. Jake was VERY constructed in his playing, especially with Ozzy, but also with Badlands.

Interesting fact, Jake's main guitar (the seemingly White Charvel) was actually a '74 or '75 Fender hardtail strat. It was hard ash. He took it to Grover Jacksons (Charvel) shop, and had them shave the big headstock down to vintage headstock spec's, as well as having it painted white (headstock too) and refretted with bigger frets. Jake had a Allen Holdsworth model Seymour Duncan hb'er in the bridge.

Zakk Wylde is the WORST guitarist ozzy has ever had. I mean, he IS original, and has great aggression, but lacks melody and dynamics, as wll as tone :D .

Joe Holmes (ex. Tarrif, Lizzy Borden (His work on thier 'Visual Lie's" album is GREAT !) David Lee Roth) was/is an excellent guitarist. He was just not as well suited for Ozzy's band, cause he was simply too good.

The same goes for Lee. He was way too good to be left in a band of guy's (Ozzy's band and Audience) who didnt have any rhythm.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Well I liked Zakk his first tour through,...once he grew the beard and became an A-Hole....not so much.

I've only seen Ozzy with Joe Holmes who sounded very good, and more "Randy' like.

Wish I could've seen Jake. Badlands is killer!
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

ghettoshelf

Post by ghettoshelf » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Wow I didn't know Joe Holmes was in any of those other bands.Hell I probably saw him with Roth now that I think about it.I know James Lomenzo was on bass when I saw that tour.Joe Holmes was very good just didn't seem to fit in.Seems like Mike Bordin was on drums and I cant even remember who was on bass.Maybe Mike Inez?I know it was in 1996.Fuzzy Memories.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Joe Holmes was a student of RR's. He started very young. He didn't even let the Osbourne camp know this, cause he thought it might be in bad taste at the auditions. He lay's watste to Zakk (man, his arpeggio's and runs on 'Den of thieves' off of 'Visual Lies' are stellar). Joe also has some of Jose Arrendondo's best sounding modded Marshall's :mrgreen: .

Jake was just incredible too. Probably Ozzy's best chance at 'really' being remembered (along with the great RR's as well). Like said before "Zakk, we understand you can do a pick harmonic already !

outlier

Post by outlier » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am

I just heard from a Japanese friend at NAMM that Jake plays in a cover band in San Diego? True or not?

Another fan. Biggest mistake that Ozzy could've made was letting Jake go. I'd read that Jake wasn't even informed by Ozzy's management, but instead first learned of his of walking papers from hangers-on/groupie girls that were hanging out in the same Hollywood club as Jake. Nice way to learn you're fired...

Met him and hung out years ago when I was reviewing a Winger/Kix/Badlands show for the newspaper. Of course, I was (and still am) a huge fan and gave Badlands a glowing review.

Jake was very cool, down to earth, laid back and personable as was the bassist. Jake enjoyed talking about his gear and told me that he had purchased a block logo Marshall in the UK for the equivalent of $50.00! I offered to double or even triple his money on that old amplifier (who wants some old amp, right?), but oddly enough, he didn't take my offer... :wink:

About his pair of orange tolex Marshall stacks, he told me that Marshall volunteered to "make anything [he] want[s]" and that's what he picked. He explained that the heads were actually dummies and that his sound was coming from a miked JCM900 behind the two stacks. (I'm pretty sure it was a 900.) This was in response to my surprise at seeing what appeared to be two very rare and mint stacks. I said something like, "That must've taken a lot of legwork to put together."

The orange tolex heads definitely were dummies. The roadies were picking them up and hauling them like they were empty cardboard cartons...

I have his all-instrumental Fine Pink Mist CD which has that trippy '90s feel along with a palpable anger. Will have to get that third Badlands CD sometime... Great player, great vibe, nice guy, sorely missed.
"THINK OF THE POWER!" ~ E. Cartman

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:13 am

Yeah, Jake NEED'S to get back out there. I hav heard that Jake, who is also a car 'Motor head', was working at a auto shop out there (San Diego) as a mechanic ?

I do know that a couple of yrs ago he was on an album of cover's along with MSG's ex singer, Chris somebody ? He was using alot of weirdold 70's effect boxes on it, some real good gritty fuzz sounds. There was also a couple of leads on there that really let you know that he can still 'shred' with the best. I think the album was either a shrapnel, or something put togather by Bob Kulick.

flieger67

Post by flieger67 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I do know that a couple of yrs ago he was on an album of cover's along with MSG's ex singer, Chris somebody ? He was using alot of weirdold 70's effect boxes on it, some real good gritty fuzz sounds. There was also a couple of leads on there that really let you know that he can still 'shred' with the best. I think the album was either a shrapnel, or something put togather by Bob Kulick.
Are you perhaps thinking of Jake's album "Retraced" from 2005? "Retraced" was on the Shrapnel label and is a disc of blues/rock cover tunes like "Evil" and "I'll Be Creepin'".

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 am

I think thats it. Wasn't ex MSG singer Chris Logan on vocal's ?

flieger67

Post by flieger67 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:01 am

Tone Slinger wrote:I think thats it. Wasn't ex MSG singer Chris Logan on vocal's ?
Yes, Chris Logan is the vocalist. Tim Bogert played bass and Aynsley Dunbar manned the drums.

tfrost33

Post by tfrost33 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 am

I don't care what any of you say about "OZZY letting Jake go... or Jake quiting or whatever... BLAH BLAH BLAH..... Because of the departure, BADLANDS was formed! And to me, the best thing that could have happened for Jake and fans of great guitar work like me.

Not to take away from what he did with Ozzy or his many other bands, I just personally think BADLANDS was the best thing he did no matter how many people bought it! All of the players connected, and had great skill!

Here is something RAW...... And probably not heard of.... Some of the BEST guitar work I have heard in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeWd7gUfHw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.soundclick.com/tfrost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/lookerwy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/borzayamusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;