FX loops coming to Metro.

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: FX loops coming to Metro.

Post by SDM » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:33 am

erigm wrote: I think headroom was the name of the game with this loop. Most loop only allowing about a 30v swing, where this one can handle more than 100v. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve.
Yeah headroom is not a problem for line level/+4dBu signals here with circuit adjusted appropriately.

Evz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Evz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:25 pm

I am looking forward to trying this loop out in my ceriatone 2204, was just wondering, does this loop work well at all volumes? as the volumes i play at vary alot from room to practice... any comments?
Evgeny N.

SDM

Post by SDM » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Yes loop will work very well at any master volume setting if you install the loop as per the instructions for a Master volume amp. Installed per the instructions, the loop always sees the same signal levels no matter what the master volume is set at. Effects in the loop will work just the same with master at 0 as they do with master cranked up.

Evz

Post by Evz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Ok got the loop, installed it.

Review: awesome series loop!
-easy install, simple instructions
- fit in my 2204 chassis in the back along side a resonance pot with minimal compensation!
- very clean/ clear! Works wonderfully
- highly recommended!!

Only tested it out with an eq and phaser, but sounds super awesome! Looking forward to adding chorus and reverb there (of course they will have mix levels)!

One slight note regarding shipping, I took standard ups ground to Canada, and of course customes took gst + 15% brokerage fee which turned out to be about 19% on top of the price paid shipped... So maybe next time if usps service is available I'd take it...

Other than extra fees it's great! Get one! If you already have one... Well get another amp and install another!
Evgeny N.

Grosh_Guitars

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Steve,

I friend of mine wants to install your loop in a super lead that was converted to a 2203, however it doesn't have the stock 2203 master. it has a PPIMV Rich Mod In it's place. Where does he install those wires from the switch? To the treble and existing stock 2203 volume?

Thanks
Bobby
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SDM

Post by SDM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:07 am

Grosh_Guitars wrote:Steve,

I friend of mine wants to install your loop in a super lead that was converted to a 2203, however it doesn't have the stock 2203 master. it has a PPIMV Rich Mod In it's place. Where does he install those wires from the switch? To the treble and existing stock 2203 volume?

Thanks
Bobby
If no 2203 style master, 2203 style master has simply been removed (or never even installed) and treble pot wiper feeds the PI input cap directly, then the loop will just install exactly the same as it does in a regular 1959 style amp instead of a 2203/MV amp.

So, there should be a wire in there now between the treble pot wiper (middle lug) and PI input cap. This wire is denoted in step 6 by a dashed purple line for 1959 amps, and should be the same for this amp with no 2203 style master. If so, then this wire will be removed as per step 6 of the loop instructions. Will have one shielded wire from treble pot wiper to switch, other shielded wire from switch to PI input cap once done. Again all just gets hooked up exactly as instructions show for a 1959 style amp.

To Evz above, glad to hear you like the loop!

Grosh_Guitars

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:41 pm

SDM wrote:
Grosh_Guitars wrote:Steve,

Thanks
Bobby
If no 2203 style master, 2203 style master has simply been removed (or never even installed) and treble pot wiper feeds the PI input cap directly, then the loop will just install exactly the same as it does in a regular 1959 style amp instead of a 2203/MV amp.

So, there should be a wire in there now between the treble pot wiper (middle lug) and PI input cap. This wire is denoted in step 6 by a dashed purple line for 1959 amps, and should be the same for this amp with no 2203 style master. If so, then this wire will be removed as per step 6 of the loop instructions. Will have one shielded wire from treble pot wiper to switch, other shielded wire from switch to PI input cap once done. Again all just gets hooked up exactly as instructions show for a 1959 style amp.
Steve,

Thanks so much!!
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

catalin gramada

Post by catalin gramada » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:54 am

Hi
It's a public schematic for this one ? or is classified ?
Catalin

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:42 am

catalin gramada wrote:Hi
It's a public schematic for this one ? or is classified ?
Classified.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 am

Here's a clip of a '72 Super Lead turned channel switcher that I did up for a customer. The clean channel is stock Super Lead bright channel with a little more gain and more symmetrical bias while the overdrive channel is a high gain modded 2203. This amp features the SDM Zero Loss loop.

In the loop we have a Zoom Studio 1204 rack effects unit -

http://www.wilderamplification.com/soun ... panama.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

10string

Does the FX look work on the Jet City JCA20H?

Post by 10string » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:44 pm

I want to do this!

demonufo

Re: Does the FX look work on the Jet City JCA20H?

Post by demonufo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:31 pm

10string wrote:I want to do this!
Good luck with that! :lol:
I'm sure it's perfectly feasible, but given that amp is
a) almost brand new
b) not in the public domain circuit or schematic wise
you might struggle to do this.
I'm sure Steve (SDM) could manage it easy enough once he'd seen the circuit, but question is;
Is it really worth it on a cheap $300 amp? No offense meant, but it's not exactly high end stuff, and not particularly great sounding to start with IMO.

So, I would suggest that since nobody here knows the circuit, and therefore won't be able to tell you exactly how and where to install it, doing it yourself would be out of the question. Which leaves sending it away to be modded. By the time you add labour and postage two ways, plus the cost of the loop, that's gotta be more than half the cost of the amp again.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a downer, just trying to put things into perspective.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

10string

Post by 10string » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Yes I agree its an inexpensive amp, but why make a cheap amp sound worse by running the delay through the front end?

Im just trying to get the ball rolling so that Steve (or whoever makes this determination) knows there is another application out there for their loop and that there is immediate interest for it. I am willing to wait untill there is confirmation that the loop will work with the JCA20H. Hell, Im willing to ship them mine to let them make that determination.

I have tried the blackhearts, the blackstar, the boogie express, valveking and the egnater. For my ear, and for the price, this was the hands down winner.

erigm

Post by erigm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I think the JCA20H is an awesome amp for an awesome price. I think it's a perfect candidate for this loop. Look for a schematic for a Soldano Atomic 16 amp, and you're there. If I had $400 in my pocket I'd be getting a JCA20H and a Metroamp Zero-loss FX Loop. :D
erigm

SDM

Post by SDM » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 pm

IF the JCA20H is indeed very much the same circuit as an Atomic 16, then technically, yeah the loop circuit should work very well in it. That said, I do not know that to be the case with any certainty at all, have not seen a schematic nor even knew this amp existed until now lol.

Even if it is compatible circuit-wise, can't forget that you still need a certain amount of free room/space in the chassis to actually fit the loop board in there too. A quick look at external pics of the JCA20H makes it very questionable if there's room enough in there or not.

So, I just can't say at this point if the loop would work out or not in that amp. Would need to see an amp in person (inside and out) to confirm it'd even fit in there first off. If so, confirm the circuit is indeed compatible, and from there the best place to tap into the B+ and such before I could say anything certain here.