Metro Marshall 1987X Sozo question

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

JMPMAN

Metro Marshall 1987X Sozo question

Post by JMPMAN » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 am

Hey fellers, just got a used Marshall 1987X with a Metro ptp board that was populated with Sozo's. My question is, does it matter which direction the line is facing on the Sozo's. The majority of mine are facing(the line) towards the front of the amp. any idea? I know on my 100 watt Metro they are facing the rear of the amp.

Thanks

audioclone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Metro Marshall 1987X Sozo question

Post by audioclone » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 am

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but it was covered many times here :)

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 am

* Report this post

Sozo cap orientation

Postby mikhailwatt » Tue May 05, 2009 11:45 pm
Another one for the FWIW file...

Discussion from another thread:

-----------------------------------------
this is directly from John @ Sozo:

There is no real positive, the black line markes the outer foil.

My rule would be:

"Connect the outside foil terminal of the capacitor to the lowest impedance side of the circuit". For coupling
applications "orient the capacitor so that the outer foil connects to the "incoming signal" and the inner foil
to the "output" side of the circuit". Signal sources are almost always lower impedance than signal loads.

For tone control circuits it is not as simple to define the signal in and signal out terminals of the capacitor. Tone
control circuits operate with significant AC voltages across them. For the case where one end of the capacitor is
grounded [simple treble cut circuit] the rule breaks down. The signal source should not be connected
to the outside foil in this case; the outside foil should be connected to ground.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 am

The only difference it can possibly make to the tone anyway, is that oriented the wrong way round with the outer foil furthest away from ground makes the capacitor SLIGHTLY more prone to picking up radio interference. But since there isn't strictly a grounded end and a positive end in most positions, it will make very little difference. You will need bat-ears to notice I am sure.
There are many things I experiment with, and this isn't one I'm prepared to spend the time bothering with. That said, I do make sure I orient them with the black line towards the lowest voltage though (or closest point to ground).

On the circuit, I suspect that the most difference will be noticed will be V1b cathode cap, since it is tied directly to ground. But I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just stick with the black line towards the inputs and don't lose any sleep over it. :wink: At least it will look consistant. :lol:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

JMPMAN

Post by JMPMAN » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:46 pm

demonufo wrote:The only difference it can possibly make to the tone anyway, is that oriented the wrong way round with the outer foil furthest away from ground makes the capacitor SLIGHTLY more prone to picking up radio interference. But since there isn't strictly a grounded end and a positive end in most positions, it will make very little difference. You will need bat-ears to notice I am sure.
There are many things I experiment with, and this isn't one I'm prepared to spend the time bothering with. That said, I do make sure I orient them with the black line towards the lowest voltage though (or closest point to ground).

On the circuit, I suspect that the most difference will be noticed will be V1b cathode cap, since it is tied directly to ground. But I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just stick with the black line towards the inputs and don't lose any sleep over it. :wink: At least it will look consistant. :lol:

Thanks for answering without the stone throwing :shrug: