Why does my Eventide H9 sound like a turd?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Joneric13
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Why does my Eventide H9 sound like a turd?

Post by Joneric13 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:28 pm

Hey All,

So, anyone out there have an Eventide H9 unit out there? If so, have you tried running it through an effects loop? When I have it in my JCM800's fx loop it sounds absolutely horrendous. The output is at best halved and it Sounds like it's coming through a a transistor radio with its speaker blown. Sounds decent enough in front of the amp but, I would prefer to have it in the loop.

I'm wondering if it's the type of loop or the quality of the loop. Honestly not sure if it's an original one. (1990 2203). I can open her up and snap some pics of the fixins if that helps.

If it is the loop can anyone recommend a replacement? I hear that Metro fella makes a nice one. As does Ceriatone.

Thoughts??

Haze13

Re: Why does my Eventide H9 sound like a turd?

Post by Haze13 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:50 am

Do you know the input impedance of the FX loop? It should be more than 10k, and there is an other thing. Some pedals just do not sound right via FX loop, because they just push/change the sound of the incoming signal and then the preamp of your amp "works" with it.

Joneric13

Post by Joneric13 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:47 am

I actually do not know the impedance of the fx loop. I'll try to figure that out and post it up. Thanks!

Joneric13

Post by Joneric13 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:39 pm

Well, after reading up on effects loop in general I'm thinking that it is a line level, low impedance loop. I've tried several different pedals In it and they all sound like garbage. The Eventide H9 most definitely has an instrument level out. So, I guess I need to figure out if I'm going to drop a buffered loop like the Metro kit in or what some other options might be. I really want to figure this out so I don't have to have anything other than my overdrive in front of my amps. Any suggestions? I have a 100W '76 JMP Master Volume (no fx loop) and a 100W JCM800 2203 that I run in stereo.

Joneric13

Post by Joneric13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:20 am

Haze13 wrote:Do you know the input impedance of the FX loop? It should be more than 10k, and there is an other thing. Some pedals just do not sound right via FX loop, because they just push/change the sound of the incoming signal and then the preamp of your amp "works" with it.
@Haze13 Would you happen to know if the Metro Zero Loss Loop is line or instrument level? I can't really determine from the description as I am not very knowledgable on these things. If it isn't what I need to solve the problem would you have any recommendations? Thanks again.

Coot Boy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Coot Boy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Joneric13 wrote:
Haze13 wrote:Do you know the input impedance of the FX loop? It should be more than 10k, and there is an other thing. Some pedals just do not sound right via FX loop, because they just push/change the sound of the incoming signal and then the preamp of your amp "works" with it.
@Haze13 Would you happen to know if the Metro Zero Loss Loop is line or instrument level? I can't really determine from the description as I am not very knowledgable on these things. If it isn't what I need to solve the problem would you have any recommendations? Thanks again.
From memory the one I had was -10db.

Haze13

Post by Haze13 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Since I don't use FX loops, I do not know what impedance Metro FX loop have... Sorry...
Use them before amp. These amps works very well with FX before amps.

Joneric13

Post by Joneric13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Haze13 wrote:Since I don't use FX loops, I do not know what impedance Metro FX loop have... Sorry...
Use them before amp. These amps works very well with FX before amps.
Good suggestions. I have a Analogman dual loop stompbox that might do the trick. I'll post up a video link for others reference when I get my rig sounding decent.

AJW

Post by AJW » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

The stock Metro loop is instrument level, but you can order a line level loop. Mind you it may not be an exact fit to replace the one you have now.