Old internet article on the recording of Eruption

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Old internet article on the recording of Eruption

Post by jape88 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am

Defo shadowing of a second amp in the clips more evident with the rake as you say, almost as if the wooden second amp has the rake coming from it not 12301 (weird?). Whenever I've run two heads I find one has to be pretty much clean otherwise it gets all mushy with distortion, so I think that bell like quality that works so well with reverb is the wooden amp in the verb room?
I also feel the jbl track has an added distortion from the speakers being driven which gives a different dimension to the celestions, in my experiments with jbls cone distortions can get nasty sounding real quick and the orange frame one's worse than the grey frame, could be to do with the mesh suspension rather than the paper-doping edge to the cone?

Nice clip Strat, I need to check this out on the headphones latter but it has nice clear 'air' to it.

Megaro
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Megaro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:30 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:I think the cab would have been in the echo chamber correct? Not the room with the plate reverb?
In listening to the clips posted by jape88, I can hear Mike's bass on both clips. That suggests to me one or two cabs in the same room. I am of the opinion that Ed had his main amp going into one cab, and that the clips we are hearing are from an on axis and off axis mic on one speaker cabinet. But that is just my guess.

However, the pics from the recording sessions of Van Halen 2 show that both speaker outputs were being used. So maybe Ed was using two speaker cabinets in the studio. See pic below. I can see one boom mic, but I can't see a second.

I don't know, I think we have to make some guesses and assumptions. But that is what makes this hobby and this forum so much fun !

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am

Megaro wrote:

I don't know, I think we have to make some guesses and assumptions. But that is what makes this hobby and this forum so much fun !
That pic is so great! Man I wish someone had snapped a pic during VH I sessions.

I just noticed in this pic that the one cab on the floor with the variac sitting on it is facing away from him. That would be what you would do if that cab was the main cab - high volume - too loud to point directly at a mic'd drum kit (or possibly humans). The one up by his head would be at a volume to make it comfortable to hear DETAIL just loud enough to hear over the drums. Can't remember if we decided this pic was staged. But as unlikely as it seems that they would be laying down tracks with little or no isolation - it's even harder to believe that they would take the time to stage such a detailed shot.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Is there bleed from the bass on the Guitar Hero tracts?
12000 Metro Kit

TWANGGG

Post by TWANGGG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:29 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Is there bleed from the bass on the Guitar Hero tracts?
Compared to the RWTD raw iso clips we have the bass guitar bleed in the Guitar Hero track has been drastically reduced with EQ. I'm guessing that EQ was applied at Sunset when the song was originally mixed.

Listening to just the GH RWTD guitar track during the quieter guitar part in the verses is where the bass guitar can still be heard thumping along.
Last edited by TWANGGG on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 pm

There's famous the hole in the grill cloth ( top cab) where he cut it with a knife to get the mic right up to the speaker on the VH1 studio sessiobs

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Could somebody take the two RWTD clips and line them up in Audacity/ProTools/whatever like this:
JBL only mono
CEL only mono
JBL *and* CEL panned hard left and right respectively
JBL *and* CEL panned not quite as hard
JBL *and* CEL 50/50 mix mono

with maybe a little audio before each section saying what is being done. i'd be interested hearing them on top of each other.

Mr.Farva

Post by Mr.Farva » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:13 am

mr.twistyneck wrote:Could somebody take the two RWTD clips
Here you go. Also included the GH and pick slides clips. The jbl track is 0.1 DB louder then the greenback. I made all of them similar volume so the mono clips wont drop like 6 DB or so, but I did leave the 0.1 DB difference.

https://soundcloud.com/mr-farva/rwtd-jbl-greenback
Last edited by Mr.Farva on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:42 am

Mr.Farva, that is some epic work there. I really like the sound of just the JBL only.

But back to this plate reverb or room reverb thing. We have seen in recent interviews Ed was very critical of the reverb wash that was on VH I. He said that Al and he were surprised at the amount of the reverb when they had the final mix cassette and listened to it in their car. I wonder if what the band heard in the studio when playing was just the dry tone from the one or two speakers with maybe some EMT plate added. Then Don L. did the re-amp in the reverb tank room thing after the band had left. Just a thought :scratch:

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 pm

:shock: I must have my Mac and studio monitors all backards or something. :lol: I'm hearing the JBL right and Celestion left. Or were you meaning stage right and stage left. Very cool work for sure. Kind of wonder how well this can be done with two SM-57's, without a JBL. :what:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Farva

Post by Mr.Farva » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm

jnew wrote::shock: I must have my Mac and studio monitors all backards or something. :lol: I'm hearing the JBL right and Celestion left. Or were you meaning stage right and stage left. Very cool work for sure. Kind of wonder how well this can be done with two SM-57's, without a JBL. :what:
Oops yes I messed that up. I fixed it and re uploaded it. I also just noticed the isolated greenback and jbl clips are not in phase so I also fixed that.

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:34 pm

That's really good. Really highlights the importance of the high end extension of the JBL's, to the overall sound. And it's effect on the echoplex delay as well. :scratch: Do I dare go after some of those awfully expensive, hard to find JBL D120F's? :shrug: Yikes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Here you go.
^^^^^^^^what this board is all about.

Dude. Thank you!

TWANGGG

Post by TWANGGG » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:43 pm

Good work Mr.Farva.

What's the source for the section that you describe as "isolated album"?

Mr.Farva

Post by Mr.Farva » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:18 pm

TWANGGG wrote:Good work Mr.Farva. What's the source for the section that you describe as "isolated album"?
It's been posted a few times, but here a source. I wonder why the Guitar Hero tracks sound way different.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... layer=true
jnew wrote:That's really good. Really highlights the importance of the high end extension of the JBL's, to the overall sound. And it's effect on the echoplex delay as well. :scratch: Do I dare go after some of those awfully expensive, hard to find JBL D120F's? :shrug: Yikes.
Weber makes a JBL D120F clone. http://www.tedweber.com/cali12a
Last edited by Mr.Farva on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.