So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Post Reply
Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Rich_D wrote:
Blix wrote:More VH noodling :palm: :mrgreen:
https://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/vh-fun
man I love the way that open chord full strum sounds, totally not over-gained.

Thank you! VH tones are way less gainier than most think(aka non-metro people ) :)

mapat
Senior Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 am
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by mapat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Blix wrote:More VH noodling :palm: :mrgreen:

Finally got one of my cabs back home. Here using the Torpedo Reload as an attenuator at near bedroom level. Mic is a Sennheiser e906. Super Distortion from the 80's is the pickup.. And loads of reverb from Logic X :D
Oh and a ClinchFX EP Pre is on too.

https://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/vh-fun
Man that sounds awesome!

Super D and an EP Pre stacked huh?...

Interesting... :scratch:

Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Even more:

Here going for some non-Marshall EVH tone, worth a try... :)


Bugera on 10 (Everything) EP-Pre only pedal in use.

Eventide Ultrachannel for some Micro Pitch. A tad of simulated 1176 compression and Eddie Kramer tape simulation.
And a bit of Reverb from Space Designer in Logic.

https://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/amster-test

User avatar
rgorke
Senior Member
Posts: 4509
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Drought Ravaged SoCal

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by rgorke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Blix wrote:Even more:

Here going for some non-Marshall EVH tone, worth a try... :)


Bugera on 10 (Everything) EP-Pre only pedal in use.

Eventide Ultrachannel for some Micro Pitch. A tad of simulated 1176 compression and Eddie Kramer tape simulation.
And a bit of Reverb from Space Designer in Logic.

https://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/amster-test
that one sounds really good....always liked that song...even the singing.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

mpmusic
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:42 am
Location: The Netherlands / Amsterdam

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by mpmusic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:27 am

@ Blix,

I was wondering how do you like the reactive load in combination with the Bugera?

Are still running on 2 tubes (50 Watts) if so can you pleasr explane if you have to set the inpedance on the Bugera at 4 Ohm because the reactive load is 8 ohm?

Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Marcel I'm replying here, in case the info is of any use to anyone else too. :)

I'm using it as 100w, didn't really use it with 2 tubes pulled that long, and prefer it it all 4 tubes cooking.
And yes, with 2 tubes pulled you need to set the amp to 4 ohms into a 8ohm load.

Works fantastically with the Suhr Reactive Load, could not be happier!

mpmusic
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:42 am
Location: The Netherlands / Amsterdam

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by mpmusic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:55 am

Blix wrote:Hi Marcel I'm replying here, in case the info is of any use to anyone else too. :)

I'm using it as 100w, didn't really use it with 2 tubes pulled that long, and prefer it it all 4 tubes cooking.
And yes, with 2 tubes pulled you need to set the amp to 4 ohms into a 8ohm load.

Works fantastically with the Suhr Reactive Load, could not be happier!
Hello Blix,

Thank you for the info, can you please post some clips with the Reactive load + Bugera combination? I heard one clip on your sound cloud (what was sounding great!) but i think that was the 5150 50 watt amp...

Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:14 am

I have a video in my "RobeRock" series lol. :)



Bugera and Suhr. Pretty suspect version of Panama, but it is what it is :)

Here's an equally suspect version of Poundcake with the 5150, but it shows how nicely it works.


mpmusic
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:42 am
Location: The Netherlands / Amsterdam

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by mpmusic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 am

Blix wrote:I have a video in my "RobeRock" series lol. :)



Bugera and Suhr. Pretty suspect version of Panama, but it is what it is :)

Here's an equally suspect version of Poundcake with the 5150, but it shows how nicely it works.


Wow sounds awesome! Do you have a link to the impuls response you're using?

Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:06 pm


mpmusic
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:42 am
Location: The Netherlands / Amsterdam

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by mpmusic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Blix wrote:Ownhammer Greenback IR's :)

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... cts_id=357
Thanks! Sounds really great.

Did you also try the combination: Bugera > reactive load > Matrix 1000 ? If so how does it sound and are you giging with that...

Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:45 am

mpmusic wrote:
Blix wrote:Ownhammer Greenback IR's :)

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... cts_id=357
Thanks! Sounds really great.

Did you also try the combination: Bugera > reactive load > Matrix 1000 ? If so how does it sound and are you giging with that...
Haven't used the Matrix with the Suhr yet, as I don't have it at home atm. But The Bugera and Matrix worked great when I used a simple static load, so it can only be better with the SRL.

MakoML
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by MakoML » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm

What pickup you got in the green 83' Kramer Pacer Special these days? I have one fresh back from a refinish that I am either going to throw in a DSD, EVH Frankenstein or a Duncan A2 Hybrid. It used to have a Duncan JBJ in it and I never cared for the JB myself.

Blix wrote:I have a video in my "RobeRock" series lol. :)



Bugera and Suhr. Pretty suspect version of Panama, but it is what it is :)

Here's an equally suspect version of Poundcake with the 5150, but it shows how nicely it works.


Blix
Senior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:38 am

The Kramer have a custom wind from http://tonefordays.com

Going by the "broken pickup" theory of EVH I had him wind me a really mismatched pickup, one coil 4k, the other 7k, and it sounds fantastic, and cleans up better than any other pickup I have tried :)

MakoML
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by MakoML » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:27 pm

That's about what my home brew Duncan Pearly Gates / Custom Custom Hybrid measures out at........... which coil is the hotter coil on your pickup, screw or slug? Yours have an A2 magnet ? Those recent video clips have a really tasty sound.

I have the Bugera 1960 classic I picked up for $167 shipped last spring, and have been doing the variac thing with it. I wanted it to use as a power amp for slaving but it flat out rocks on its own right.
Blix wrote:The Kramer have a custom wind from http://tonefordays.com

Going by the "broken pickup" theory of EVH I had him wind me a really mismatched pickup, one coil 4k, the other 7k, and it sounds fantastic, and cleans up better than any other pickup I have tried :)

Post Reply