Uh oh question

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Uh oh question

Post by herbvis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:29 pm

Hello all,

I recently took most of my amp apart and rebuilt with a few new parts and tidied things up after a heavy modding/experinmenting session. In the process I accidentally hooked up my power tranny heater wire to pin #3(plate) instead of the #2 heater pin like I should have. After i fired up the amp and realized there was an issue, i quickly found the error and connected the power tranny heater to the correct pin. I did blow that one power tube, but the other 3 seem fine. Has any one else made the same bonehead mistake? Is there any possibility that I damaged something? I am most concerned about my ot since the pin I had my heater wire on is connected to the ot. Any way to test for damage? The amp works seemingly fine now, a bit harsher than i remember, but could be from using 6550s now instead of el34s. Im gonna put the el34s back in tomorrow to see if that helps with the harshness.

Thanks in advance

neikeel

Re: Uh oh question

Post by neikeel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:50 pm

The heaters are only 3.15vac on htat pin, not enough to short out the primary (IMO) I guess you will find out when you start cranking things up. :what:
Neil

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Uh oh question

Post by herbvis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks Neil! That was the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for all the hep you provide to this forum!