BOSS ES8 effect loop switcher

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

BOSS ES8 effect loop switcher

Post by AJW » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

I recently replaced my Rocktron Loop 8 switcher with a BOSS ES8 and I can't say enough good things about it. It was a huge step up in functionality. You can reorder the loop order per patch, turn the input buffer on or off depending on patch, route an expression pedal to more than one device, full midi implementation, and it seems to sound better in the bargain (could have been some bad GeorgeL's in the old setup). Great piece of gear! There is nothing I need it to do that it can't do. :thumbsup: Oh except I wish it had 10 loops :lol:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Re: BOSS ES8 effect loop switcher

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 am

I picked up the ES-5 for testing with the Metro-Plex and I have to agree. Great piece of gear. Like a mini Bradshaw rig in a box. I was fully prepared to hate the sound and yet I couldn't hear a difference (with no pedals inserted).

With the MP I can program it to switch the MODE, BOOST and LOOP. That's a lot of functions before you add any pedals.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Nice! I was hoping that was workable with the MP.

I'm glad I bought the ES8 because I use every loop (OD, boost, fuzz, Octavio, vibe, compressor, envelope filter, and delay) with my homemade 45/100. There is technically one more loop (volume pedal). I have that running to the effects loop and back but I should put my Nemesis delay in line there to free one up. It has true bypass, and I'm switching it via MIDI already per patch.

I have honestly been trying to figure out how to get the money together for my own MP. I'm sure it's worth it. Also, I could get one of those loops back since the boost pedal would be unnecessary. :toast:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm

That is pretty awesome! Have you tried programming the pedals in different orders? That's crazy too.

The MP has many people leaving distortion pedals off their boards. Boosts too. I've very happily surprised.

george

AJW

Post by AJW » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 am

I use a compressor to get a "clean" sound out of my dimed plexi. In one patch I moved it to after my envelope filter so it would respond properly, and then get the limiting after. Worked great. Also if the output buffer is on you can add 2 or 4 db to a patch which comes in handy.

AJW

Post by AJW » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

BOSS has a free firmware update and application download that lets you use a PC (requires a MIDI interface, but I already had one) to update patches and settings. It is now much easier to program the ES8 with that.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue May 02, 2017 11:14 am

Very cool. My close friend got the ES5 to use with his Metro-Plex, so I'll be helping him get it all programmed. This will help.

george

Mr.Brown

Post by Mr.Brown » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi, I've got an MP on the way and was curious as to how exactly you were connecting into the 5 pin din from the ES-8. After reading a blurb on Boss's ES-8 site it seems that they caution against using the Midi out to switch amps without consulting with the manufacturer as they warn against damage to either amp or ES-8.

https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/the- ... ing-system

Additionally I'm running a Strymon Timeline as well to further complicate Midi switching matters. I was considering using a 1/4" TRS to 5 pin din adapter but I can only find these with one TRS connection, so I would lose one switchable function in going that route. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mr.Brown

Post by Mr.Brown » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:57 pm

From Boss:

NOTE: It is possible for the ES-5 to switch channels on some amplifiers with multi-pin DIN footswitch connectors, but to do so will require the manufacture of a custom cable, which, if assembled incorrectly, could potentially damage the ES-5 and/or your amplifier. Please consult the amplifier manufacturer to determine suitability of the amplifier controlled by an external switcher such as the ES-5.

Mr.Brown

Post by Mr.Brown » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Found the answer to my question, lol. :thumbsup:

https://store.metropoulos.net/collectio ... rs-adapter