Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference

Post by mr.twistyneck » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 pm

^^^^ that's what you need to watch if you want to learn how to play this song. right there.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Leotis wrote:Maybe so...but that's essentially like what I just posted.
Sorry man! You included a whole series of notes on the A string that don't exist...your fingering couldn't be any more different from Phil's! I'm just sayin'...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:54 pm

mr.twistyneck wrote:^^^^ that's what you need to watch if you want to learn how to play this song. right there.
Correct...Phil and wjamflan showed me how to play this correctly probably 4 years ago in one of if not the first thread I ever responded to when I first got on this site. Phil has it down...the volume knob diminuendo...the switching on of the phaser in the right spots...the whole thing. I play it exactly the same way, but I didn't play through the whole song in my clips because I was demoing the fact that the tuning that I notated is indeed the correct tuning heard on the album.

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 am

garbeaj wrote:
Leotis wrote:Maybe so...but that's essentially like what I just posted.
Sorry man! You included a whole series of notes on the A string that don't exist...your fingering couldn't be any more different from Phil's! I'm just sayin'...
What? Bullshit...my fingering could be MUCH more different than Phil's. By "whole series of notes on the A string that don't exist," you mean the root notes of the chords in question? The ones that Phil plays on the 4th string? Those notes don't exist? I guess your ears are so finely tuned you can confidently discriminate between an A on the 4th string 7th fret and an A on the 5th string 12th...with delay, reverb, and phaser on top? Wait...what am I saying? I forgot... you're ALWAYS right. Always the final authority on all things VH. How dare I try to participate!?! :palm:
Did you even bother to try the fingering I posted, or did you just dismiss it out of hand?

This shit right here is why this forum is practically vacant. I'm sorry I butted in. Carry on! :thumbsup:

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 am

Leotis wrote:Wait...what am I saying? I forgot... you're ALWAYS right. Always the final authority on all things VH. How dare I try to participate!?! :palm:
Did you even bother to try the fingering I posted, or did you just dismiss it out of hand?
:champ: Somebody had to say. It's guys like garbeaj that make the VH sections of this forum suck ass. He's been called out many times about his 'professor van halen" attitude and he will never get it. Reminds me of grade/middle school stuff.

I love it, he says this about me at http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/threads ... hall/page4
"What that guy thinks he hears and what the reality is are two different things." I was just stating my opinion. I'm wrong according to the professor van halen....

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:26 am

echoplexi1974 wrote:
Leotis wrote:Wait...what am I saying? I forgot... you're ALWAYS right. Always the final authority on all things VH. How dare I try to participate!?! :palm:
:champ: Somebody had to say. It's guys like garbeaj that make the VH sections of this forum suck ass. He's been called out many times about his 'professor van halen" attitude and he will never get it. Reminds me of grade/middle school stuff.

I love it, he says this about me at http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/threads ... hall/page4
"What that guy thinks he hears and what the reality is are two different things." I was just stating my opinion. I'm wrong according to the professor van halen....
No shit! What possible purpose does his post at the top of this page serve? Is it educational? Does it further the discussion? Was it even to be helpful or offer some insight into the topic? No... his express purpose is to belittle me and to be condescending and dismissive..as if I posted some outrageously ridiculous idea. It's a goddamned series of A major, B minor, and G major triads... but my fingering "couldn't be more different than Phil's!" :lol:

Woooo! Yessir... that was one CRAAAAAZY bunch o' shit I posted there! :hide:

What I wanna know is where he bought his Soooper Dooper Eddie Van Halen Decoder Ring that makes his opinions somehow more valid than everyone else's?

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:38 am

Don't you realize he's smarter than the rest of us :lol: He's so good he has his own tech :roll:

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 am

Last edited by Strat78 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:48 pm

:rockon:
Last edited by Strat78 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm

For the record, I don't consider myself the authority on Van Halen's playing...that would be wjamflan in my opinion. Most of the hard stuff I learned from Bill, hands down. I hope I've made that clear in any and all of my posts regarding technique. When it comes to Van Halen's tuning specifically, yes, I consider myself the authority on that subject, but that is merely a function of no one else caring to figure it out as I have. I partially post these tunings in an effort to get someone else to check and correct my findings. Same with anytime I discuss specific fingerings. And my feelings never get hurt if I'm wrong. And I'm the first to admit it if can be proven to be incorrect.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when someone points out or demonstrates that they have played something incorrectly...I'm DYING for someone to show me how I've been playing something wrong and demonstrate to me how to correctly play it if they can prove it. Bill and Strat78 have schooled me many times. I don't know where I would be without their correction and constructive criticism. It never hurts my feelings at all. Feelings about playing just are not things that enter into the equation for me.

I'm only interested in learning. The end.

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Show me where there's ANY of that in your post above. There's nothing constructive there...not one word. I defy you to demonstrate where there's anything other than condescension, arrogance and belittling in your post. Hell, 4 of the 5 notes in the chords I posted are the same, albeit different fingerings, as Phil's. The way your post reads, you'd think I posted F#, C#, and D# diminished chords...
You can backpedal and try to make it sound like you were only being academic, but really you were just being an ass for the sake of being an ass. For the record, I'm not so insecure as to need the Garbeaj Housekeeping Seal of Approval on my playing. I really couldn't give two fat rat shits about that. No, it's about your constant elitist attitude. The end. The ass end.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:59 pm

garbeaj wrote:When it comes to Van Halen's tuning specifically, yes, I consider myself the authority on that subject
:whistle:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:28 pm

echoplexi1974 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:When it comes to Van Halen's tuning specifically, yes, I consider myself the authority on that subject
:whistle:
Can you name anyone who has ever even tried to notate the tunings on any Van Halen recording? I didn't think so...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Leotis wrote:Show me where there's ANY of that in your post above. There's nothing constructive there...not one word. I defy you to demonstrate where there's anything other than condescension, arrogance and belittling in your post. Hell, 4 of the 5 notes in the chords I posted are the same, albeit different fingerings, as Phil's. The way your post reads, you'd think I posted F#, C#, and D# diminished chords...
You can backpedal and try to make it sound like you were only being academic, but really you were just being an ass for the sake of being an ass. For the record, I'm not so insecure as to need the Garbeaj Housekeeping Seal of Approval on my playing. I really couldn't give two fat rat shits about that. No, it's about your constant elitist attitude. The end. The ass end.
The fact is fingerings DO matter and the same notes do sound completely different at different places on the neck on different strings. If you don't understand that you really should.

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:37 pm

garbeaj wrote:
Leotis wrote:Show me where there's ANY of that in your post above. There's nothing constructive there...not one word. I defy you to demonstrate where there's anything other than condescension, arrogance and belittling in your post. Hell, 4 of the 5 notes in the chords I posted are the same, albeit different fingerings, as Phil's. The way your post reads, you'd think I posted F#, C#, and D# diminished chords...
The fact is fingerings DO matter and the same notes do sound completely different at different places on the neck on different strings. If you don't understand that you really should.
All my above points demonstrated in one short post. ^