Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:54 pm

RWTD, not skill demo just tone
alder body, maple neck through duncan 78'
https://soundcloud.com/sc_user5150/runn ... -van-halen :vh:

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: The Tone...Have I done it? [CLIP]

Post by Strat78 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Yes to the tone and playing. :thumbsup: You forgot to mention what amp you are using. Spooky good clips, especially DTNA.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:24 am

The clips do have the majority of the "sonic elements" that make up Ed's old tone. As 'Strat78' pointed out, it would be nice to know about the amp and the rest of the rig used to create the clips.

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 am

Having read thousands of posts on this forum, you guys would kill me for having this rig. Im looking into getting a Friedman be-100, Marshall jcm200 dsl, or build my own 12xxx from spec :scratch: ...It is a peavey vypr vip-2 running pure clean into a laptop--->then into Cockos Reaper where then i use and array of plugins, impulse responses and eq'ing to get the tone i want----> out to 2 Jbl studio speakers for sound.

I will end up posting straight raw clips soon to showcase how close it actually gets to the real thing, but half of it is in the hands :shred: as I try to get as close as I can to that too

Also after my post made it through my ip got blocked by the firewall and dont know why, if an admin can help me

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 am

TheEVHToneChaser wrote:It is a peavey vypr vip-2 running pure clean into a laptop--->then into Cockos Reaper where then i use and array of plugins, impulse responses and eq'ing to get the tone i want

Ive spent Hundreds of hours on getting a base plexi sound through here, and use eq and such to get me to the rest
(I also study the isolated tracks, as that is where i learn how to play most of these songs, and use the forum and tutorials for the fast licks that ed does)

Lbrown3743

Post by Lbrown3743 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 am

Dude those clips blow my mind. If I didn't know any better I would say those were the isolated tracks. Totally awesome man. Wish you would have busted out the RWTD solo. Tone and playing spot on.

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:21 am

Lbrown3743 wrote:Dude those clips blow my mind. If I didn't know any better I would say those were the isolated tracks. Totally awesome man. Wish you would have busted out the RWTD solo. Tone and playing spot on.
Thanks man :rock:

Im doing an Aint talkin bout love one soon maybe later today

this should blow peoples minds around here :clap: i just have to record

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am

Apply that good ear and talent to a 12 series build, that would be something to behold! :rock: Thanks for posting your work so far, it's very refreshing. :toast:

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 am

The clips really do sound good. When I listened to RWTD I had a gut feeling that the tone my have been constructed along the lines of what you actually did since I didn't hear any miscellaneous noises (i.e. finger string noise, amp hiss, etc.,) associated with a loud tube amp. But I have to admit your ears really deciphered the nuances of Ed's old tone nicely.

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Tazin wrote:The clips really do sound good. When I listened to RWTD I had a gut feeling that the tone my have been constructed along the lines of what you actually did since I didn't hear any miscellaneous noises (i.e. finger string noise, amp hiss, etc.,) associated with a loud tube amp.
I try to eliminate string noise in my playing as it is slightly annoying

My strings were dead on those clips and I have a noise gate setup so i dont get any background hiss
Ill put a clip up here later that will blow those other two away

Thank you

This forum needed a little rejuvination

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Excellent. Honestly only Strat78 is in the same league. Impressive...most impressive!

Strat78 had achieved incredible results years ago with a Pod. This is a great virtual simulation along those same lines. Really cool!

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:40 am

garbeaj wrote:Excellent. Honestly only Strat78 is in the same league. Impressive...most impressive!

Strat78 had achieved incredible results years ago with a Pod. This is a great virtual simulation along those same lines. Really cool!
Thank you very much :rock: Ive heard those clips before and was surprised by that.

This is a new one... https://soundcloud.com/sc_user5150/atbl-tone This may be a better example of the capability with my current setup.
I didnt have all of the fills, extra licks and such, it is just kinda thrown together :shrug: it is mostly dry compared to the RWTD clip

FL6

Post by FL6 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:36 am

TheEVHToneChaser wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Excellent. Honestly only Strat78 is in the same league. Impressive...most impressive!

Thank you very much :rock: Ive heard those clips before and was surprised by that.

This is a new one... https://soundcloud.com/sc_user5150/atbl-tone This may be a better example of the capability with my current setup.
I didnt have all of the fills, extra licks and such, it is just kinda thrown together :shrug: it is mostly dry compared to the RWTD clip
For ATBL intro, how did you get the C-B-C flange effect, or what flange and settings? This part has always alluded me. Yours was dead-on. Thanks for the clips.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:32 am

I agree that the flanger parts sound really good. So, how different is the recipe for the basic guitar sound between the RWTD and ATBL tracks?

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:50 pm

FL6 wrote:For ATBL intro, how did you get the C-B-C flange effect, or what flange and settings? This part has always alluded me. Yours was dead-on. Thanks for the clips.
:popcorn: For the flanger its an Mxr Flanger like ed's, and in an interview ed said that he had the first 3 knobs set at somewhere between 11 and 11:30,and for the regen it would be all the way dialed but for me its too swooshy so i keep it at 4 o clock :thumbsup: