My black Musikraft "5150" sort've replica

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: My black Musikraft "5150" sort've replica

Post by JimiJames » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm

:rocker:
garbeaj wrote:I used to think the solo from "Panama" was spliced from different takes, but now that I have listened to the isolated guitar track I think it is probably all one take. I know my clip was just made to demo the sound, but damn I really need to work on the phrasing of the "Panama" solo some more! I've never heard anybody else on the internet play it anywhere near close to the record, but I'm going to give it the old college try:)
The only one I know of is the outro on TYWH.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 pm

JimiJames wrote::rocker:
garbeaj wrote:I used to think the solo from "Panama" was spliced from different takes, but now that I have listened to the isolated guitar track I think it is probably all one take. I know my clip was just made to demo the sound, but damn I really need to work on the phrasing of the "Panama" solo some more! I've never heard anybody else on the internet play it anywhere near close to the record, but I'm going to give it the old college try:)
The only one I know of is the outro on TYWH.
I now know that the "Panama" solo was all one pass or at least there are no obvious edits. I'll listen to "Take Your Whiskey Home" but I never thought there were any edits in the entire song much less the short outro after the second solo.

"Jump" is obviously and famously composed of several different solos that were spliced together...it's not physically possible to play it as it is played on the record.

Rich_D
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rich_D » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:00 pm

garbeaj wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm
Hey Rich...I know I'm bumping this super old thread...but what did you mean that Unk had it wrong as far as the body being made of poplar? I made this guitar out of basswood, but I was considering rebuilding with poplar because that's what Unk said it was made of...what have you uncovered in your sleuthing?
Now I'm bumping this super old thread. Garbeaj I'm not going to be able to produce the links for quotes, but it's pretty common knowledge now that the real 5150 is basswood and Unk was um, confused, in all his statements that it was poplar.

This is probably so old that you've verified this several times since you asked.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Rich_D wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:00 pm
garbeaj wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm
Hey Rich...I know I'm bumping this super old thread...but what did you mean that Unk had it wrong as far as the body being made of poplar? I made this guitar out of basswood, but I was considering rebuilding with poplar because that's what Unk said it was made of...what have you uncovered in your sleuthing?
Now I'm bumping this super old thread. Garbeaj I'm not going to be able to produce the links for quotes, but it's pretty common knowledge now that the real 5150 is basswood and Unk was um, confused, in all his statements that it was poplar.

This is probably so old that you've verified this several times since you asked.
Well at this point it is still unproven. David Nesdall and Unk say it is poplar, and now I am leaning towards poplar. I don't think they ever used basswood.

Tdi Guy

Post by Tdi Guy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Ok. Old Thread but Im new. I will be building a 5150 Kramer and the amount of opinions is crazy. Im stuck on wood and pickup selection. I have used a custom custom in and old Kramer 84-85 guitar years back and loved it. Now sure if Ishould just stick with that. As for wood? Poplar, Basswood or Alder?

Last. Has anyone ever ordered the guild kit from Ed ROman guitars? Looks like a nice complete kit. Or am I better off purchasing separately and going with a Musikraft setup.

Randy

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm

I strongly recommend Musikraft or Locke Custom guitars for the body and neck. Ed Roman's aren't even close to accurate.

If you read through my whole thread here you'll find most of the parts you would need. But there is no definitive proof of the body wood and no definitive proof of the pickup spec. You just have to pick one and go.

Tdi Guy

Post by Tdi Guy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 am

Great. Thanks for the info. Spoke with Musikraft yesterday. He suggested the Basswood. any recommendations for all the other parts for the guitar? Trem, tuners, ect? I'm new to the build from scratch club. Cant wait to start though..

Tdi Guy

Post by Tdi Guy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

I shot a message to LCG this morning but no answer yet. Do they have a
phone number?