Marshall Pre / Trainwreck Power

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
metalhead3ecr
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Marshall Pre / Trainwreck Power

Post by metalhead3ecr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Finished! This thing really loves single coils

Freebird
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freebird » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi metalhead3ecr

I just enjoyed your work. Your new Amp looks pretty nice and clean. Well done! How does it sound? Which scheme diagram did you use?

Daniel

metalhead3ecr
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by metalhead3ecr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

I used the schem/layout that RJ gave me from RJ guitars. I'm not sure of the version, but it was pretty standard. I purchased the transformers, chassis, and various other components through him. I can't take credit for the boards though! I had retrotronicst (look up on eBay) build the boards. They have all the proper NOS components and very clean builds. I just assemble everything and play them :thumbsup:

This one sounds very good with single coils, but the amp is far too flubby for overwound humbuckers and palm muting (I have other amps for that stuff anyways). It does sound like a trainwreck though, very responsive and articulate. Singing feedback when turned up a bit too.

Freebird
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freebird » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:53 pm

I haven't had the chance to play a true Trainwreck Amp yet. I read lots of technical stuff from the master Ken Fisher as you may also have. The myth I think are the ingredients of his amp recipes and the lead dress.

I am afraid that just the correct scheme diagram doesn't help getting the Trainwreck sound?

Keep on rocking :rocker:
Daniel